• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy Crow knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahkapi'si

Frontier .50
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I am using this new knife in spite of any flaws with the assumption that originals back in the fur trade may have had imperfections too. So maybe I’m more period correct than not. :)
It holds an edge good. Starting to patina nice too.

IMG_3283.jpeg

IMG_3284.jpeg

IMG_3285.jpeg

I don't know much about them but Id think they treated there knifes well back then.

I been looking at some Japanese knifes now..

That's a problem because that's a problem. Id say they have some nice mountain man knifes too.

I recently got a Higo Nokami Japanese pocketknife when it ended up as a suggestion from Amazon for under $20. Sharp as a razor and makes a good path knife.

Not exactly historically correct for a muzzleloading patch knife, but historical in its own right and interestingly constructed.

Mine is like the black one shown in this video. The brass one I think costs a bit more.

Got a great knife from Townsend. It’s too thick for historical accuracy, but ‘looks right’
I’ve got nothing but praise for Townsend’s always been happy.
However I got a knife from crazy crow that’s almost the same. And a fine knife at half the price.
I have several crazy crow knifes and happy with them all.

I recently got a Higo Nokami Japanese pocketknife when it ended up as a suggestion from Amazon for under $20. Sharp as a razor and makes a good path knife.

Not exactly historically correct for a muzzleloading patch knife, but historical in its own right and interestingly constructed.

Mine is like the black one shown in this video. The brass one I think costs a bit more.

Yea that's the second problem..

There pocket knifes are nice to lol

I don't know what I want... I noticed they sell out. I can pick something for Christmas you know..

I like the wood sheaths on some hunters I've seen.. that's cool.

In thinking trout and birds style blade.

But a nice pocket knife is cool too.

Your knife looks good. If it takes and holds a good edge I’d say it’s good to go. Here’s my old knife that I plowed up out of the garden. I cleaned it up, put handles on it and made a sheath for it. Rough as a cob but it’s my favorite and most carried knife. I’d say knives carried by mountain men were a lot like yours and mine.
0767FE2F-CCC4-4A98-A0BA-FFAE73B4F2DA.jpeg

Last edited:
I cut some tomatoes with it checking the edge; patina showed up almost immediately.

Looks like I've had it for years, not a week.... :)
Yep. The acids in the maters I'm thinking. I got a Hudson's Bay Roach Belly from Knives of The North a while back. Brought it along on a camping trip to play with, mamma sliced a tomato with it, cut them as thin as the Hinkle's in the kitchen.

I don't know much about them but Id think they treated there knifes well back then.

I been looking at some Japanese knifes now..

That's a problem because that's a problem. Id say they have some nice mountain man knifes too.
They definitely had some well made and very nice knives in the 1700's. However, trade knives were not among those. They were the "cheap" knives of the era and were first used to trade with the native Indians. However, they were still serviceable knives and a lot of folks ended up with them, not just the natives. The knives in Japan, especially in the Sakai region (around the city of Sakai) were far superior as they made a type of steel that is more commonly known of now as Damascus steel. They made it by hammering it thin; folding it over; forge hammer-welding the pieces together; and repeating the process multiple times. Every time they folded it, it doubled the layers of steel in the knife. It's the same method they used to make Katana swords. Those were not the type of knives coming out of Europe in the 1700's.

The Sakai region of Japan still makes some of the best knives in the world using Japanese traditional methods. Many (most) of those knifes are single bevel and are ungodly sharp. I have (and use) a Yanagiba knife with a 10½" blade from a maker in Sakai region that I use for making sushi. It's specifically designed for cutting delicate raw fish and meat. They have been making these knives for many hundreds of years. Although they were certainly being made in the 1700's, none of them are known to have made it to America back then. The knives found in America ran the gamut of cheap to expensive and tended to be more general-purpose knives than single-purpose knives. Or perhaps I should say they may have been designed for one thing, such as scalping knives, but used for many other cutting chores.

I've seen some bowie knifes and etc.. Japanese made.. American style knifes I thought have popularity there.

Granted our best blacksmith of the day probably not that good.

Back