• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crazy crow's patterns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minuteman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Beginning to feel like ya'll got better things to do than answer questions from a newbie.
Something wrong with my questions or is there something wrong with Crazy crow I should know about. :(
SOMEBODY HAS TO KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THESE PATTERNS!

No, I'm not ignoring you I just spotted your post. As for Crazy Crow, I've never used any of their patterns. I doubt that their patterns are made by them, they are most probably purchased from any one of a number of pattern makers. I'd search the WEB for period patterns and see what else is out there.
:hatsoff:

A note of caution. I'd recommend that you get several if not all of the patterns from the different sources for what you want and compare the differences before deciding on one and/or combine the elements from two or more to make what you want or need. Also, make up what you want in as cheep a material as you can find to get the fit correct before using good material. Elements of period patterns sometimes don't quite go together they way they look like they should.
:thumbsup:

I am more familar with the patterns from NorthWest Traders, so I was leaving this for people who might have some experience with that company or product. However, since nobody responded and that is not enough to answer the question to your satisfaction, I looked at the link.

What I see there are patterns that I generally would ignore on a bargain table. My reasoning is that I generally am Type A to the point where I would be reworking such patterns to the point where I might as well just draw my own.

"Flint & Gun Tool Wallet"

I folded a 6 X 8 piece of vegetable tanned leather and cut a few more 6 inch pieces to make flaps of varying pepths for each side and stitched this up along the edges to make a wallet. I stitched one side up the center and ran the stitches through a tie strap. The other side has more stitching to hold flints or small items. I looked at a wallet that an old guy made from a pattern and adapted as I wanted.

"Tomahawk Belt Carriage" and "Tomahawk Sheath with Sling Carriage"

I wrapped a piece of cardstock around a hawk head in various angles and the stapled the edges in various configurations until I got what I wanted. I marked instructions and laid the card over leather, adapted for the difference in folding between the two and stitched it all up. The sling version will not require a pattern so much as it requires a strap cutter which you can get from a variety of vendors. I suggest the wooden one as it works better than the more expensive metal one. Bees wax helps too.

"Rawhide Tobacco or Bullet Canteen"

My son knocked the cover off of an old softball and I folded one side against itself. I cut the small section connecting the two halves to form a bag pattern and then stitched through the old holes to form a pair of perfect .50 cal ball bags which are pre shaped to hold more balls.
(Ball bag here has a double meaning)

I made more ball bags of scrap leather and they were rather flat until they were filled with balls for a long time. I have since learned that some people use a similar pattern for such bags and use hot sand to get that rounded shape. I also see that some leather frosts the balls quicker than others, but they still work pretty well.

"Eastern Indian Pipe Bag"

I rarely smoke and would not use leather for this purpose. I would use something else unless I was sure of what was used to tan the leather. Fire, chemicals and breathing might be a bad combination, but I am funny that way.

"Woodlands Indian Knife Sheath"

Most patterns for knife sheaths are modern and you would be better served by looking up patterns from the web or making your own. I like mine deep and rounded.

"Canadian Cap"

I have no idea what this is, but if it is that Mongol cap pictured, I'll pass. But then, I am from the sunny South, so I might be a bit out of touch.

"Eastern Rifleman's Bag"

I have a couple of October Country bags and adapted the general design to make other bags for my various guns. I would just make my own. If I can, then surely you can.

In short, I have faith that you can do better without these patterns than with. This is likely the message that others were sending through their silence.

CS

I'll second the idea of using cheap material to test the fit of any pattern, no matter who you get it from. Even an old sheet will do. Alot of patterns require reworking to make them fit you. Just because it says size 40 doesn't mean it's going to fit a modern person that size.
Trust me I learned that the hard way. It helps if your wife is a seamstress and doesn't mind fixing your mistakes.
Most of the companies selling patterns don't actually design the pattern, they buy from someone else and put their name on it.
So, my two cents is this, look at each pattern you get and expect it to be out of wack somewhere and you'll need to fix whatever that is.
Ripping stitches out is no fun, I know. Not counting spending money on good material only to pitch it out.

I sincerely appreciate your responses folks. I was beginning to think that the patterns weren't the way to go simply because of the silence regarding them.
Thanks again.
Made a small pouch from elk hide yesterday, just free hand from a Kurz sketch of a 1800 era fella on horse back. Not exactly to scale but looks close to the sketch and it'll suit one of my sons I'm sure.
Guess its gonna be a long road to getting my kit together?!

It wouldn't hurt to pick up "Tidings from the 18th Century" by Beth Gilgun. For the price you pay for a few clothing patterns you can purchase the book with numerous articles that show you how to make your own patterns. This book covers mostly Colonial era clothing and such, but quite a bit of it crosses over to early 19th century. Just my 2cents.

Here is my $.02

My wife makes clothing for a bunch of folks. The only shirt pattern she uses for the fur trade is the "Missouri River Boatman's Shirt Pattern". Cut it to fit, it is a shirt. Cut is a bit big and it is an overshirt. Make it a bit big, and split it down the front, add a cape if you want and you got a rifle frock.

you should be able to get the pattern at the
Sutter's Fort Trade Store
(916) 442-4966
Or at Townsend Boatman's shirt pattern

Also check out the book Rural Pennsylvania Clothing - it was recently republished. And the patterns from J.P.Ryan have a pretty good reputation for accuracy.

A pattern is just a start, when making things. Yes, many need "adjustments". But be careful on those adjustments. Clothing in general fit people differently back then compared to modern clothing. Some examples: The waist of pants were HIGH - well above the belly button - in general. This takes a lot of getting used to. Pants/trousers/breeches were held up by suspenders or a cinched back waistband. There were no belt loops, and a belt was used to carry pouches, tools, and to hold your coat/shirt/matchcoat closed. Leggins tended to be tied up to a cord or thong around the waist. Sleeves on shirts tended to be attached well past the shoulder, and also tended to be puffy/bulky.

Of course, these are just a few general comments, and exceptions can be found. The point is that some of the adjustments to patterns that people make are done to make the clothes fit and wear more like modern clothing instead of the way they were originally made. It's up to the individual as to how they want to make and wear the clothing they choose.

These are but my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

yhs
Mike Ameling

MinuteMan,

You are a good sport and took my comments well.

If I can send you some pics, PM me your email addy. I am not sharp enough to get pics to work here.

CS

Couldn't figger out a way to send a PM so much :confused: but I did start a private topic with ya that contains my e-mail and such.
Perhaps someone could enlighten me about PM-ing? :grin:

Latest posts

Back