• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crisco

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best lube.

Sperm_oil.JPG

Pete44ru said:
How's the oil extracted from sperm ? :wink:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

First you put on your raingear. Then you climb into your rowboat. Then you harpoon it. Then you drag it back and cut it up. Then you process it.

Choice of venue is yours. :blah:

BrownBear said:
Pete44ru said:

First you put on your raingear. Then you climb into your rowboat. Then you harpoon it. Then you drag it back and cut it up. Then you process it.

he left out the part where the sperm pulls your rowboat (and its contents) through twenty foot swells at a phenominal rate of speed, beating the snot out of you and everything else in the boat. then you drag this beast to the mothership and cut it up into bits and boil it down and this attracts sharks and gets slippery crud all over everything and then some old guy writes a famous book about it and it's really about obsession ...

wow- you can really tell those who've never done this before!

MSW said:
BrownBear said:
Pete44ru said:

he left out the part where the sperm pulls your rowboat (and its contents) through twenty foot swells at a phenominal rate of speed, beating the snot out of you and everything else in the boat. then you drag this beast to the mothership and cut it up into bits and boil it down and this attracts sharks and gets slippery crud all over everything and then some old guy writes a famous book about it and it's really about obsession ...

wow- you can really tell those who've never done this before!

Actually, AIUI, the lubricating oil in question was not that rendered from the blubber, but the rather different liquid wax bailed (in liquid form) from the "case" in the head, a feature unique to sperm whales. A solid wax precipitated out of this in the processing was used for the finest candles.

And just for completeness, don't forget about the oily sooty smoke that got into everything, that came from using the rendered-out crispy bits as the fuel for the rendering ("trying") fire.

Regards,
Joel - "Call me Ishmael"

badpenny said:
i have used crisco as a patch lube on many occasions. it works well, don't prelube a lot of patchs though.it will turn rancid and stink to high heaven

When I first started out I prelubed tons of stuff with Crisco...winter came and I put everything away for the next summer...I opened my range box to find it smelling to high heck...I darn near threw everything away that was in there!

I use spit most of the time but use CRISCO for hunting, when I might leave my gun loaded for a long time. Been using it for about 50 yrs. Never had any problem, shoots very accurate in all my guns. When used properly there is no mess, patches are easy to handle and never any transfer of crisco to your hands. Have to wonder what you folks are doing that's giving you problems.
Deadeye

Latest posts

Back