• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

curious, powder horn or speed loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontierman01

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm just curious. how many people use speed loaders and how many people carry powder horns, and reason for choices. I carry speed loaders for convenience.

horn and loading block only for me. all of them are right there for a fast reload when needed.

I carry a horn with my shotgun because it's being shot more and the horn cuts down on carrying so many loaders.
When deer hunting with a rifle, I carry 2 or 3 extra preloaded capsules for quick reloading.

I carry a ball block and horn, with measure attached, for my rifle. My horn strap has a loop that a three-shot ball block slips into. That way I don't have to open the pouch or fish around in a pocket to load.

My smoothbore I use paper cartridges.

I use those little plastic tubes with the screw-top lids. I carry about twenty-three charges in my bag. Many're the hunts where I get that barrel plenty hot enough and am required to keep on loading and shooting as fast as I can.

I dont worry or concern myself with speed. Thats not why im in this game. Make the first ball count an speed is not a issue. As for what I carry its a horn for me with a loading block on my bag strap. Been doing it like that for lots of yrs so I dont try an fix what aint broke :thumbsup:

For hunting I use powder packets which are made from rolled up paper using a mandrel. The blind end is glued and the pouring end is folded and stapled. The whole packet is dipped in canning wax and this enables the powder to remain as new for many years....oblivious to the elements.

When used, the stapled end is either torn off w/ the teeth or the fingers and is easily dumped into the bbl. The PRB is loaded from a loading block. A flexible capper or a priming horn is used depending on the gun.....Fred

I carry one speed loader and then enough stuff in my bag to load several more. I hunt with a 45 50 54 or 58 which ever floats my boat when I go out the door. 3f powder flints adj measure just load the right amount of powder under the right ball. I guess it's not simple but it works for me.

Larry

Your not going to get a second shot anyway....so "speed" is a misnomer.
Now there is Wisdom forsure,,,always wanted to see anyone load fast enough to get off a second shot with any hope of making it count.You might shoot a timed,hanging target however if it is alive and you miss,,save your powder and shot....

I have had second shots on the same deer at least 4 times over the years.
I have shot more than one deer (legal here) once so your premise is weak.

Try reloading quickly when a deer is acting like it is going to get up and you will spill powder out of your measure and get a partial load. If you don't, you should give up hunting. Excitement IS the name of the game.

If the mountain men used paper cartridges (and they sometimes did), it is not much different for us to use a plastic one instead.

colorado clyde said:
Horn or flask......speedloaders are an inline thing... :td: Your not going to get a second shot anyway....so "speed" is a misnomer.

You are correct sir! not deer hunting at least, Horn and antler measure for me.

When I carry my .50 caliber, percussion, hawken replica, I carry 3 pre measured 65 grain charges in plastic test tubes, with rubber stoppers, and a block with 3 patched .490 round balls around my neck. I got the test tubes from my vet, he uses them to send in blood samples for brucellosis tests. For my 20ga SBS Pedersoli shotgun, I carry a horn, loaded with 3Fg, a 70 grain measure and a hunting bag with assorted wads and shot......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry a couple speed loaders in my shot bag. They've been in use in one form or another looong before those "new guns" were even thought of. When hunting I would rather be able to load a second shot as quickly as possible just in case it was needed. I've never needed it but the main reason I carry them is that if I had an animal wounded that wasn't down, I want a second shot loaded as quickly as possible. It might make the difference between recovering or possibly losing an animal. Making a quick humane kill is my top priority.

I've also seen several animals hang around after missed shots. I personally had an elk give me enough time for a second shot. I'd been walking along cow calling when I saw a small 5 point bull coming my way. He was broadside at about 90 yards when I screwed up and pulled off target just as the hammer fell. It didn't bother him one bit. After looking at me and the cloud of smoke for a few seconds he kept angling toward me looking for that cow he'd heard. While I was loading as quickly as I could he proceeded to circle me (now at about 40 yards, even closer than my first shot). I was ready for a second shot but he was behind some brush blocking his vitals. Eventually a breeze blew my scent to him and that's what sent him packing. I beat myself up for missing but it turned out to be a blessing. The next day I shot a 300"+ 6X6 bull. I'm not a trophy hunter but I was sure happy with how things turned out!

When using my old TC Hawken 50, I have a loading block with patched round balls, caps in the patch box along with a piece of round leather with holes punched in it for caps. I use several 45-70 cases filled with BP and stopped with a cork for "speed loading"

One time about 30 years ago I got three shots at a doe and missed all three times. I was reloading for a 4th when I broke my ramrod in the excitement of trying to reload. She was about 60-70 yards away. I only confess to this mis-adventure because my young daughter was with me and kept asking, "Did you get it?"

We were hiding in a creek and shooting over the bank at the deer grazing in new wheat.

I carry both. I use a horn and pouch, but I keep two speed loaders in my pocket just in case. Not because they are faster but just in case I am separated from my pouch and horn some how. It has not happened yet but I want a guaranteed last ditch second shot.

I really believe I can reload as fast with my horn as I can with the speed loaders.

Small flat horn ( aka: Day Horn that holds enough powder for twenty 80 grain loads ) and a 4 hole loading block that I made myself. I also carry extra lead balls in my bag.

I'll accept loading blocks and paper cartridges...

Plastic tubes are not the same as paper cartridges...comparing the two is like comparing it to a brass cartridges....

But, I'm not trying to start an argument....I shoot a muzzleloader because I enjoy it....not because I want another opportunity to shoot deer.

Shot placement over speed everyday. I carry speed loaders just because it makes it so I don't have to carry all the other stuff.
and if you hit the target/animal good enough, there is no need for speed.
Hey what ever floats your stick,Life is easier if you plow around the stumps.

Back