• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

curious, powder horn or speed loaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorado clyde said:
I shoot a muzzleloader because I enjoy it....not because I want another opportunity to shoot deer.

That's the only reason to hunt with a muzzleloader here. There is no muzzleloader season in Montana.

Vomir le Chien said:
Your not going to get a second shot anyway....so "speed" is a misnomer.
Now there is Wisdom forsure,,,always wanted to see anyone load fast enough to get off a second shot with any hope of making it count.You might shoot a timed,hanging target however if it is alive and you miss,,save your powder and shot....
Winner

Vomir le Chien said:
and if you hit the target/animal good enough, there is no need for speed.

In theory I agree. At the same time I have seen plenty of animals that just keep going when hit perfectly. A dozen other animals hit in the same spot either drop or are down in short order but every now and then one won't. Also variables like a ball deflected from an unseen branch can turn what was a perfect shot into a bad shot. Not trying to get off topic but things like this do happen.

i just use the plastic loaders that hold a pre-measured powder load in one end and patch and ball in the other end, they also have the notch on one of the end caps that holds a percussion cap. if i were a perfect shot i would just load the rifle at the house and leave the extras at home.

In theory I agree. At the same time I have seen plenty of animals that just keep going when hit perfectly.

Sure....But if it keeps going it will be out of sight or range by the time you get reloaded either way....so it's a moot point.

There are always exceptions to the rules...

In theory I agree. At the same time I have seen plenty of animals that just keep going when hit perfectly.
"Hit Perfectly" would be a dead animal,,why shoot it again???? :surrender:

colorado clyde said:
Sure....But if it keeps going it will be out of sight or range by the time you get reloaded either way....so it's a moot point.

Not necessarily. That was the point I made above. You never know how an animal might react. I've seen animals hit both with longbow and long gun that showed no sign of being hit, ran a short distance and allowed another shot. As long as as animal is still on its feet I'm going to try to hit it again. As soon as you think you've seen it all, something will come along and surprise you. There are always animals that didn't read the playbook. :grin:

Vomir le Chien said:
"Hit Perfectly" would be a dead animal,,why shoot it again???? :surrender:

I thought I covered that. :confused:

pab1 said:
At the same time I have seen plenty of animals that just keep going when hit perfectly. A dozen other animals hit in the same spot either drop or are down in short order but every now and then one won't.

Agreed....I have seen deer run a 100 yards with a hole through the heart.. But it still died...and a speed loader wouldn't have changed that...

At best a speed loader will only give you a few seconds....over traditional loading.

I choose to immerse myself in the experience.....it's not about speed or even success...I believe in the principal of "fair chase" for lack of a better definition....
If I miss, then the deer wins...

I have used and like the TC 4-1 speed loaders just because I can drop a couple in a pocket and dispense with bulkier devices. But those aren't available in the larger calibers, so I also use a small flask and a loading block. And, when carrying my smoothie hunting small game, I use a powder horn and priming horn along with a shot bag.

For those who say there is no need for speed, they obviously don't participate in deer drives or don't shoot multiple deer on one. While I haven't done so with muzzleloaders, I have done it with bow and if you have multiple tags you can shoot one deer and then quickly shoot another if you're ready. I would imagine doing drives with muzzleloaders would be the same. So the need for speed isn't just for the one deer shot that may need to be shot again. :v

colorado clyde said:
At best a speed loader will only give you a few seconds....over traditional loading.

I choose to immerse myself in the experience.....it's not about speed or even
success...I believe in the principal of "fair chase" for lack of a better definition....

I agree that speed loaders only save a few seconds. That being said, I don't think loading from a horn or a speed loader qualifies a hunt as being fair chase. Either method only allows for a follow up shot which hopefully is not needed. If it is needed, then under some conditions discussed above, it is about speed IMO. :thumbsup:

I like to use old equipment with the guns. In the British army they timed ' 3 and 3/4 miniutes' and were expected to get off 15 shots. 15 seconds per shot. Using a horn ball block with a powder measure drilled in the loading mallet I got 11 shots off in that time. Now I mostly hunt with a smoothy and carry a few paper cartridges, but load my first from horn and tow nested ball. I have yet to reload with a cartridge in the field, as I sit, I swab my gun say thanks for the chance for a shot to the maker of all, run a new charge, and after 10 min or so go look for my deer.
I've never had a chance to hunt more then one deer in a day.

Bought my TC.32 Cherokee in 86 and the Renegade in 87, well before I had ever heard of inlines. I have multiple powder horns, a couple of loading blocks, too, but I also purchased the TC speedloaders way back then. The speedloaders accompany me when deer hunting. They have allowed me to harvest meat via a good follow up shot that a horn would not have allowed. I love all the experience but also took great satisfaction providing protein for my growing family, as well.
Enjoy hunting with your muzzleloader how ever you choose.

tenngun said:
I like to use old equipment with the guns. In the British army they timed ' 3 and 3/4 miniutes' and were expected to get off 15 shots. 15 seconds per shot. Using a horn ball block with a powder measure drilled in the loading mallet I got 11 shots off in that time. Now I mostly hunt with a smoothy and carry a few paper cartridges, but load my first from horn and tow nested ball. I have yet to reload with a cartridge in the field, as I sit, I swab my gun say thanks for the chance for a shot to the maker of all, run a new charge, and after 10 min or so go look for my deer.
I've never had a chance to hunt more then one deer in a day.

:thumbsup:

Depends on the game. Some big animals can take a bit of putting down. Also, in some instances, if culling (yeah, I know, there are better rifles than muzzleloaders for culling, but I've done my time culling with smokeless repeaters) you might need to move to down another animal as soon as you've put a fatal hit on the first one. Some herd animals, in some situations, stand around confused for a little while (not deer).

For deer hunting I carry 5 pre-measured charges, 5 balls and 5 lubed patches and a primer. No speedloaders. For small game I carry a hunting bag and a horn.

Back