• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Custom ball molds - Great site!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabrielguitars

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to pass on a website for a guy in the UK that makes custom round ball molds, all the way up to cannon sizes, even belted balls and hollow ball molds. I got one of his molds in .640 for my 16 bore smooth I'm building, and it arrived exactly one week later, excellent work, too. Only cost me about $50 total. http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/moulds.htm#

buttonbuck said:
do you have to buy his handles or use say lyman or some off a lee mould?

LEE sells a set of large handles that fit..that's what I use on mine.. :thumbsup:

Tanner moulds are really first class, I have used them several times. You can get handles from him, I think, but depending on the size of the mould you can use RCBS, Lyman etc. He will tell you what you will need.
Mark

Jeff really gives you your money's worth..my .48 mould is a machinist's gem. Hank

What's the purpose of a belted roundball?

Around the time of Capt. Forsythe(sp?), rifle makers were having a really hard time getting larger charges of powder into a rifled muzzleloader without the ball stripping in the rifling. One of the things they tried was to make a 2-groove rifle that used a belted ball, and the 'ears' formed by the belt would fit into the grooves. The idea behind this was to make the ball-to-rifling contact much more positive, to keep it from stripping out or 'jumping' the rifling. I've seen an original Purdey rifle that was made this way. In a similar fashion they also made winged elongated bullets and 'picket balls' on the same premise. To my knowledge, none of these worked well enough to overcome the difficulty of manufacture or loading. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. :hmm:

buttonbuck said:
do you have to buy his handles or use say lyman or some off a lee mould?
I have several of Jeff's moulds and I use Lyman handles on them. Great workmanship, pretty to look at (brass) and very quick turn-around time, usually have them in less than 2 weeks. Plus, no hassle with sending funds to the UK as he has a bank account here in the States.

Latest posts

Back