• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cutting wood for stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinT_C

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was thinking cutting some Osage for stock blanks. What dimensions should it be in order to accommodate any rifle that I decide to build? Also, any thoughts on quarter or flat sawing?

Thanks

TinT

Osage is sometimes used in furniture, never gun stocks. As stated, too hard, too heavy! Pretty wood though.

The only use might be in an over the log or bench gun but I don't know if the dimensional stability equals that of black locust, which is also dense. I've made bows of both. Making a gun of one would be an exercise, all right. Muscle building and would definitely hone the tool sharpening skills.

I made bows from it in the past and didn’t mind working it with hand tools. After checking it does look as though it’s about 45% heavier than walnut. Would still like to give it a try because of the rusty-brown color it gets when it ages.

Latest posts

Back