• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva 50 cal bobcat accuracy...(pics.)!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know that there were some people on here that were asking about the accuracy of the cva bobcat rifle. well my sister has one that i decided i would get out today and sight it in for her. last time she shot it she got a 6 inch group at 25 yards. well i knew i could do better then that. :haha: :haha: I knew before hand that it was shooting low so i filed the front sight down abit before i took it out to shoot. i decided to sight it in with 40 grains of FF, as i dont want there to be any recoil problems when my sister starts using it this summer for groundhogs and target shooting. I shot it a couple of times at a can to see how close to zeroed it was. well it was dead on lol. so i decided to try for a good group. i used my shooting sticks and took 3 shots at a pellet tin at 40 yards. here is the result!
02090017131.jpg

3 shots in 1 enlarged hole that is just a tad bigger then a quarter lol. :grin:
i was pretty impressed that a 65 dollar flea market muzzleloader could print groups like that. I didnt have a bench rest either :rotf: . just 2 sticks crossed in my hand with the gun rested in between. i wrapped the sticks in masking tape so they wouldnt scratch the gun.
DSCF3365.jpg

i would of gone down to my shooting range in my yard but sense there is over a foot on snow on the ground i was forced to shoot out of my garage lol. my load was 40 grains FF,a pillow ticking patch lubed in deer tallow then later with bore butter, and a .490 home cast round ball. So for all you guys interested in bobcats, they are real shooters ! enjoy SS

SS, thanks for the post. Good shooting!

Very happy to see in the photo that you were wearing hearing protection. :thumbsup: I hope you also wear eye protection when shooting. The good Lord didn't give us but 2 eyes apiece and they gotta last us all our lives.

Great shooting! And as has been mentioned, stick with the hearing and eye protection. You have many years of fun ahead of you. :thumbsup:

Hello from Germany!

Good report, good pics and especially good shooting! Always god to see that the youth comes into the sport. :thumbsup:

Regards :hatsoff:

Kirrmeister

Did you ever add any lead to the stock to help her balance the gun? You can add lead to the plastic stock by putting shot in an old sock and stuffing rags and the lead into the hollow to prevent the lead from moving. Remember the trail shoot on the 17th.It is time for her to start beating us old men!

i have the same rifle, dose just about the same, working up to the 100 yard range, right now i'm shooting 50 yards at 3/4" grooping, 490rb .15 field lubed patch, 50gr 3f, will try 75gr2f, next, will try to post pic's. if i remember cam, and card, yesterday, no mem. card, nice shooting, keep make'n smoke. :thumbsup: :hatsoff: BTW. i did not add lead to mine, i like the light stock

Nice job, GREAT PIX! Thanks for sharing! I'll betcha Gramps taught ya how to clean the thing the right way to get that kind of accuracy! Three shots in a little more than a quarter from a $65.00 flea market rifle means BOTH YOU and the rifle can shoot! Congratulations!

If you're ever in my neck of the woods (NJ), please come as my guest to either of my club's BP Shoot! And Dilly's invited too!

Happy Birthday a week and a half early!

Shootin like that reminds me of when my son was 15! Thanks again!

Dave

SS , :applause: thats some good shootin! :hatsoff:
I believe the Bobcat was the best bang for the buck CVA made :hmm: before selling out to the in-line :barf: crowd. They can also be made into a nice looking traditional style gun with a little time and work :thumbsup:.

i would like to get some info on how too, would like to get wood stock for mine,the syn is ok for shooting but i would like something i could say i made my self, have the time to do it and the hand tools, it seems to me the hard part would be the brl key.

Great job :thumbsup: Your sister is going to be happy with the results. All of the older CVAs I've seen have been straight shooters. Congradulations :hatsoff:

I own three Bobcats, one in .50,.36 and .54. All are good shooters with the right load. I've enjoyed mine for some time and I'm sure you and your sister will enjoy yours for years to come.

Don

It looks like it is shooting a little to the left to me. LOL Seriously that is some good shooting. I have a CVA Mountain Stalker and they can be good shooters if you put the time in working up the right load.

Bob

hello,

please shoot with safety glasses. Great of you to take care of your sisters gun :)

PICT0360.jpg

The middle one is the Traditions DeerHunter.
The Bobcat and DeerHunter appear to be essentially the same gun. Mine is 20 years old and has taken untold numbers of deer. Super buy? Absolutely!

Ramrod, Great grand kids any grampa would be proud to have, I am.You must shoot at the Club they belong to. I was over there last fathers day. Nice club. Dilly

Thats some extra fine ootin. I'm gonna give my Bobcat some attention and see what it'll do for me.

Back