• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA .58 Mountain Rifle Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhwestfall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got one thumper of a gun from a friend. Took it to the range and the first two rounds offhand at 50 yards were within 2" of dead center. Only about 4" off at 100 yards. I LOVE THIS GUN!

Questions: (1) Anybody know the rate of twist on the CVA .58?

(2) Any info on the barrel (spanish) such as the depth of lands/grooves?

Lastly, as this is my first percussion, any tricks to cleaning it? I've only had flinters and they don't have that funny thing sticking out of the side of the barrel... :rotf:

BobW

Does the rifle have a 32" barrel, two wedges holding the barrel. and a pewter nocecap? If so, it is a Mt rifle and has a 1-66" twist. Don't know that CVA ever made another .58 cal model. Very good shooting rifles.

Now that's a real friend! :bow:

I suppose now - you will say he gave this classic ML to you free of charge?? :confused:

Wow, that is the first time that I had ever heard of a .58 made by CVA. Does anyone have a picture that they could post of one? :hmm:

shantheman said:
Wow, that is the first time that I had ever heard of a .58 made by CVA. Does anyone have a picture that they could post of one? :hmm:

They had a Big Bore Mountain Rifle that came out about the same time as the standard Mountain Rifle. It came in .54 and .58 and had a 1" barrel as opposed to the 15/16" barrel on the standard Mountain Rifle. It looked about the same as a Mountain Rifle except the capbox was left off.

These rifles had a 1:66 twist and were as accurate as any of the other Mountain Rifles.

The only tip I would have would be to make sure the flash channel is well cleaned. I had some problems early on and cleared them up by removing the cleanout screw on the drum and running pipe cleaners into the flash channel. The drum on CVAs goes all the way through the breechplug and has a slot open to the charge. This can get crudded up after a while if not cleaned out by direct cleaning or flushing in a bucket of water.

shantheman said:
I have one of these 58's. Good rifle. Lock time is a little slow. Built it from a kit in 1980. Would post a picture but can't figure out how.

Rebel: Yep, that is the one, get this, it has a Birdseye Maple Stock too!!! Thanks on the barrel info.

Snuffy: No, I wasn't that lucky. But only a small amount of money shanged hands (quite a deal)!

Shautheman: Will put up some pics later.

Mike2005: Yep, had that problem at the range.

I built one from a kit back in the lat 70's, cause I sold my deer rifle & needed a quicky to have to deer hunt tiwht. It cost $ 119. from Bowhunters Warehouse up in PA. It has to be the ultimate worst looking gun I ever built, and I keep it as a reminder of where is was then compared to now. But anyway, the sucker WILL shoot accurately & I mean it is really consistant.....

I got it out a couple years ago as I had not shot it in 15 years, took it to the range & this is the first group after 15 years ! 2 groups later I was eating the bull up.

58calGroup50ydNov02.jpg

I have shot better groups but I thought this was pretty good after 15 years of sitting & I didn't even remember the load or combo for it. :grin:

Took it to the hunting camp last year as I had never killed a deer with it. You should have seen the look on Packdogs face when I pulled this jewel out !! ha ha ha ! It was Priceless !!
I shot a deer the next morning & also another one that afternoon with it :thumbsup:

I will try to post a photo of one later. It lookas just like a CVA Mtn Rifle but has no patchbox on it & no brass at all.

I should try and post my pics. Man does it shoot well. Question: What ball /patch combo? CVA manual (link somewhere on this forum) says .562 ball & .020 patch. .562 is just not easily available (just ordered some from TOW - hand cast)I tried .570 Horandy and .015 cotton and .570 Horandy with .018 ticking and in both cases it was practically a sledgehammer to load. I know it would break a wood rod (hunting rod).... my stupid math skills say that even with ticking, this is only .004 difference, could they really expect that much effort? What have been your experiences? :confused:

I am shooting a .570 Hornady roundall and a .015 Oxjoke patch with mine & I load it with a wooden ramrod. That is what I have always shot from it because I couldn't find the .562 ball or mold when I built it years ago. The .570 worked & shot well so I just kepty using them. :thumbsup:

Lee makes both a single and double cavity .562 mold. The friend of mine that used to shoot a CVA .58 used a .562 with a thick patch. He has to start all his rifles with a mallet. I like a to short start with just a slap on the starter. I would imagine that a .562 with .018 Ox-Yoke ticking should work alright.

And here what she does:
PICT0097sm-1.jpg

first three shots I took with the gun. Bulls are offhand at 50 yards, third is offhand at 100 yards. 90 gr ffg w/ .015 ox-yoke prelubed patch.

SHE IS A HAMMER! Adirondaks, here I come Saturday!!!

Agree, but I would have to add a sledgehammer and use a piece of rebar to my gear :haha: But hey, only have to load it once at the cabin, and it takes only one (good) shot.... have to give it a go! :thumbsup:

BobW said:
Agree, but I would have to add a sledgehammer and use a piece of rebar to my gear :haha: But hey, only have to load it once at the cabin, and it takes only one (good) shot.... have to give it a go! :thumbsup:
Congrats on your acquisition. A note of caution . . . don't load the gun in the cabin if it is warm inside and cold outside, actually leave all your loading gear (gun, powder, balls and caps) outside in your vehicle or someplace else protected and load it just before you head out. Don't ask . . . just say I know from experience . . .

Good luck.

Back