• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA .58 Pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I have the CVA Mountain Rifle in .58 caliber done, for all intents and purposes. There are still some finer points I am going to work on but they wont change the appearance greatly so I thought I'd post some pictures of it. I got to shoot it for thr first time yesterday and it looks promising. I shot at 50 yards and used up my speedloaders from hunting season first from my other .58. The load was 120 gr. KIK 2F with a pillow tick patch and Stumpy's semi-dry Moose Juice as lube. I got fairly good groups right off the bat but as I dropped the charge by 10 grains at a time, it looks like 90 grs. shoots the best for my higher end loads with all three shots touching. I tried 90grs,100grs,110grs and 120grs. My patches looked great too with no visible cuts and no blowouts. I had some sharp lands or a sharp crown to start with but I coned the muzzle and ran some 0000 steel wool on a patch jag down the bore and that seems to have cured the sharp edges. I will refine the load later and try 5gr. increments, I want to find a lower end load for paper and plinking too. You can see the "before" pictures under the post "Got the CVA .58"
Thanks for looking,
Idaho PRB

IMG_0001-1.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

Try 55-60 grains of FFg powder for a nice target load. 90 grains is more than enough for hunting any deer.

Nice gun, they were the top in their day and are still fine shooters.

That`s a nice looking rifle. I noticed it doesn`t have a patchbox. Is that the norm for the .58 mountain rifles? My first muzzleloader was a .50cal CVA Mountain. I still have it. The bore has aquired afew rust pits over the years and it doesn`t shoot as good as it used to, but it still holds it`s own. I have no plans to part with it.

SgtSchutzen said:
That`s a nice looking rifle. I noticed it doesn`t have a patchbox. Is that the norm for the .58 mountain rifles? My first muzzleloader was a .50cal CVA Mountain. I still have it. The bore has aquired afew rust pits over the years and it doesn`t shoot as good as it used to, but it still holds it`s own. I have no plans to part with it.

Seems strange, but the .54, and .58 did not have patch boxes. For what reason I don't know?

Nice rifle, I have one in .58 as well!

54 and 58's were called big bores and they were not offered with a patch box.

The 58cal i am building, i used a 15/16" stock with the patch box and simply just did a little inletting for the 1" barrel.

That turned out very nice. Now I'm really sorry I hesitated. Next time I'll be faster on the draw! :grin:

Thanks for all the nice comments folks. I can't wait to get another decent day to go shoot it again. :hatsoff:
Idaho PRB

The .54 & .58 were called the "Big Bore Mountain Rifle" and neither had a patchbox. They were said to emulate a Plains rifle rather than a Hawken style. The smaller bores (.45 & .50's) had the patchboxes.

Mine shoots a 3 shot touching cloverleaf group at 50 yards with a .570 Hornady PRB, 65 grains of Goex 2F, .015 Oxjoke patch or a .016 Pillow Ticking patch, and my BD6 Patch Grease..... Never needed any more powder for killing deer with it, as it is devastating & usually drops them right there.

Looks like you did a nice job on the rifle. :bow:

:thumbsup:

Really beautiful rifle, and the browned barrel looks great. Where did you get it and if you don't mind what's a ballpark $$figure on it. I'd like to get a big bore for my next rifle.

Trailgunner said:
Really beautiful rifle, and the browned barrel looks great. Where did you get it and if you don't mind what's a ballpark $$figure on it. I'd like to get a big bore for my next rifle.

I don't know if I am violating policy by discussing price here, If so, I apologize. I paid 315.00 for it from an online auction. It was an old kit gun that had never been finished or shot. These aren't manufactured any more so you will have to find one used. There are other options for a .58 caliber round ball gun too. The browning on the metal parts I used LMF browning solution.
Idaho PRB

Idaho PRB: There is no policy on this site that says you can't tell folks what you paid for a gun.

Likewise, there is no rule against telling someone else what you think a gun is worth as long as you aren't making an offer to sell or to buy the gun .

For instance, I can say, "I bought a used Pedersoli Tryon .45 caliber rifle for $250."

But I can't say, "I would sell my custom Franklin County rifle for $XXXX.XX".

Thanks for posting the great pics, I am now inspired. I just received an unfinished Mtn. Rifle stock and need to get a lock, barrel, trigger and triggerguard. Hopefully I can get it together by spring time.

Ghettogun said:
I just received an unfinished Mtn. Rifle stock and need to get a lock, barrel, trigger and triggerguard.

Try Deer Creek, they might have the parts you need. I went through them to get the missing under rib screws and wedges I needed for mine.

Back