• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Bobcat "improvements"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordy317

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here, and to BP, started last year, but have been putting together quite a kit - 5 long arms and a ML Pistol.

The first of the lot was a Bobcat that was picked up at Wal-Mart last year for $40.00 (Display model discount.) I spent too much time filing the front blade, and drifting the rear buckhorn sights. It shot, but PRB got tight fast with FF or FFF Goex, even with wet patch swabbing between shots. With that swabbing, there were MANY misfires, as I didn't know to dry it out. Trigger pull was much heavier than I like, and the fact that the half-cock didn't work when being 'let down' from a full cock was a BIG:: suprise. Hunting size loads of 85 - 95 gr FF or FFF kicked like heck too - the gun was light with a hollow plastic stock, so all the weight was in the front of the gun. In putting a narrow military sling on it (to help with sighting), the gun would do sommersaults off my shoulder every time I used the sling as a carry strap.:eek:
:hmm:
Today the sights are replaced with CVA adjustable sights that dropped into the dovetails. I ran across those at a small local gun store - MUCH easier to sight in. The lock was taken apart and polished following the directions in "Black Powder Gunsmithing" by Sam Fadala :master:; the lock-tumbler interaction was also very carefully polished.
Between shot wet swabbing stopped, and I've put 20+ shots through it using both PRB and 320 gr REAL bullets without an extra patch. 85, 90 gr. Goex FF. (I'm trying the gun with sabots tomorrow - 225 gr. Buffalo Bullet, lead HP, boattails - also some 285Gr. Buffalo Bullet lead spire point, HP, boattails.)
Trigger pull is nice - not too heavy, not too light, but CRISP! Probably 4.5+ lbs. For weight, I put a 1.5 lb lead ingot inside the plastic stock, moved it around until the gun balanced just in front of the breech, and kept the ingot in place with # 8 copper wire wrapped around, and drilled through the ingot, holding all that in place with "Great Stuff" expanding foam. Don't laugh - the danged thing worked, and IMHO, worked well, as both sighting and carrying were less of a struggle. I also converted to a musket cap nipple, and RWS musket caps. That worked great, and is probably what I'll use hunting, but I've gone back to the regular #11 caps after reading about dry, grease free bores - no more misfires. TC Wonderlube 1000+ is on every projectile put down the clean bore now. I may even try some on the bottom of the sabots' cups, as I read that plastic fouling can be a problem.

:hmm:
Results? 2.5 in. 5 shot groups at 90 yds. with 320gr REAL bullets, about 3.75 in groups with 177Gr. PRB and overpowder Wonder Wad.
Cost? Gun - $40.00, Sights - $20.00, Sling - $2.00 at a garage sale, Studs and swivels for sling - $8.00, used Lee mold for RB and REAL - $10.00, ingot and expanding foam - free leftover from other projects. About $80. - but the mold obviously isn't tied to this gun.

Is it a cheap hobby for me? Heck no! Like I mentioned, I've five other guns I'm fooling around with. In 50 cal alone, I've over 25 different projectiles, and 10 different brands or grades or types of propellants, three different ignitions, and five different molds. But, man is it fun!

Muzzleloading is to hunting what tying your own flys is to fishing - or so it seems to me.

This is a great forum, I've learned a lot here by lurking for a week or so. Sorry to be so long winded.

Thanks Gordy. A little bird told me I would be getting a Bobcat for Christmas *g*. Your info will be a lot of help. :master:

IronMan

Hi Gordy, Welcome to the forum. Looks like you have a handle on the little Bobcat. I got my grandson one for Christmas last year, and it shoots so well I may have to get me one....I can't believe the price at Wallyworld, about $60.00 out the door.
Russ

I just picked up a CVA Bobcat "Squirrel" in .36 with a wood stock for my youngest son. Haven't had a chance to get out and try it yet but overall it looks very nice for the money :: I just assume that for $100 I will have to do some tweaking.

NYGordy: welcome to the forum.I too bought a Bobcat for one of my Grandsons,for $60.00 a pretty rugged little gun.I replaced the plastic stock with wood and that helped the balance and weight problem.The wood stock was slightly longer in length of pull.So far the sights have been satisfactory for PRB.Can't beat the price. :imo: :redthumb:

this is my improvement to my bobcat. it sets on top of a hawken stock
Picture%207.jpg

I have the twin to the Bobcat... the Mountain Stalker. Mine is in .54 caliber and I paid $39.95 for it when Bass Pro was dumping inventory. I wish I had bought about three of them.

As you noted, they do kick like a mule. I simply padded the stock on the outside and cover it with a black wool sock. It takes the bite out of the rifle and when the sock gets dirty it goes in the laundry. I wanted to keep the rifle light because I use it to walk the cedar marsh. If I drop this one it will not hurt as much as one of my T/C Hawkins.

I also bought a cheap set of fiber optic sights and changed them over. What a difference in my ability to sight with it.

The rifle's pet load is 85 grains of Triple Se7en a wonderwad and a .530 moosemilk patched roundball. With that it is very accurate. Three deer learned that lesson last year. This year they will not come out to play.. :curse: Just my luck. Doe season for four days and all I saw were some excellent bucks.

If you want to swab that rifle use pure isopropyl or denatured alcohol and then a dry patch or two. I also found that anything else caused misfires or hangfires. I also changed over to a Uncle Mike's Hot shot nipple and I am shooting #11 caps and this thing goes off all the time.

The Bobcat might not be the most expensive rifle in the colletion but it is sure a great shooter. When the friends and their kids visit to shoot, I always break that one out and let them plink roundball with light loads....I really caused a lot of snickers when I showed up to the first group shoot with that rifle, but the laughing stopped when they saw how well it shot. After deer season they were rushing around trying to get a .54 like mine, but they were all gone. Great rifle, great caliber.

cayugad......What is the difference, if any, between the Bob Cat and the Mountain Stalker. Both of these rifles are in the family somewhere, between kids and grandkids, and I keep seeing and hearing both names from the kids.
Are they the same?

I saw that thing on BassPro and almost got one for my grand daughter, but at age 11 she still plays with baby dolls too and I think little girls need to be little girls as long as they can....maybe next year though.

Russ

A friend of mine has a Bobcat. I bought the Mountain Stalker. If you hold them side by side you can not tell the difference. He did fill the stock on his to reduce the recoil, I opted for the padded method.

I almost got a .54 Bobcat at Basspro about 2 years ago. It was on sale for 39.95, last one the store had. I passed for two reasons: the lock was in real bad shape, and the twist stamped on the barrel was 1:32 (I wanted a PRB shooter...). Man, do I regret that. I probably could have fixed that lock. And later I was told that 1:32 twist was stamped by mistake on some barrels, they all were 1:48 indeed.
More recently I saw Bobcats again at Basspro for $59.95, but all in .50 cal. I passed again. Well, just a few weeks ago I was at Basspro and they had a .50 cal Bobcat for $39.95 (display piece). What the heck, I got it. Not the .54 cal I was hoping for, but anything that shoots straight for 40 bucks is a good deal in my book.
I haven't shot it yet. Just cleaned it inside and out, and smoothened the trigger a little. It was very heavy originally, but seems acceptable now. I filled the stock with some sand and foam to add some weight, and improve balance. Also added a slip on recoil pad, not only to reduce felt recoil, but to increase length of pull, which I found too short. Used an old torn pad, that would have ended up in the trash can otherwise, and tape to secure the pad in place... That made the rifle even uglier than it already was. But who cares? I want it to shoot good, not look good. Can't wait to go shoot it.
Vanstg

Don't the Mountain Stalker have better sights? I got that impression from a catalog picture. :hmm:

The things I learn, that I thought I knew!

mississippi_squirrel_hunter, Is that a left hand lock on the Bobcat, or is the photo' reversed? Regardless, that barrell on a Hawkin stock and lock sure looks a lot better than either the black plastic, or CVA standard wood stock. Nice job!

cayugad, thanks for the T7 85gr. load. I'll give it a shot. The alcohol swabs - is that so the barrell dries faster? Will it get any unburned powder?::
Yesterday I was running 90 Gr. Pioneer 2F with 275 Gr. Buffalo Bullet 'Maxi Ballette'. I loved the powder, but the groups weren't great, as I started shooting too late in the day. I don't think it was the gun's fault, but my eyes.

old40rod, I didn't even know there was a 36 cal. Bobcat ever made. Does anyone know if they're still made? - - Have to keep my eye peeled at the gun shows, as that would be a decent introduction to small-bore ML.

BTW, WalMart is selling the .50 cal. for $54.99 up my way - at least those boxes that are selling BP guns.

Deer Creek Products, Waldron, IN has the Bobcat in .36 cal... Just bought one a few weeks ago from their catalog. Needed something my 10 year old could heft around the trail walks. Its a Bobcat set up with a .36 barrel

Old40Rod,
Is there a website for Deer Creek Products. I tried doing a google search for it but did not turn up anything definitive. How would one go about getting one of their catalogs if there is no website?
Thanks for any help you can provide.

I could not find a web site, but here's their other contact info...

Deer Creek Products
P.O. Box 246
6989 E. Michigan Rd.
Waldron, IN 46182
Phone: 765-525-6181
Fax: 765-525-9595

Squirrel Hunter, would you provide some more detail? My Bobcat shoots so well I've had thoughts of dressing up. On yours, not only is the stock different but it appears to have a left-hand lock, different rear sight and double set triggers.

Are the sights and triggers aftermarket accessories and if so what brand, especially on the set triggers?

Thanks,

GrayBear

the difference between a mountain stalker and the bobcat is the twist in the barrel, bobcat 1 in 48 twist. mountain stalker is 1 in 32. :m2c:

My .54 caliber Mountain Stalker is a 1:48 twist. Stamped right on the barrel. When Bass Pro was selling them out, I ordered the one and then decided I wanted a couple more but was told they were all gone. Anyway the one I got is a great shooting rifle.

The reason for the pure isopropyl alcohol swab patches is, yes they will still pull the fowling out of the barrel, and you then do not put any moisture back into the barrel. The alcohol will not only dry on its own, but will burn if it has to when you fire the next round.

I used to use a mixture of 50/50 alcohol and car windshield washer fluid in the sidelocks. That was fine in the warmer weather, but I found in the winter when shooting and swabbing I was suddenly getting a lot of hangfires and even misfires where it could take even three caps to set it off. I was picking the nipple between shots, so I could not figure out the problem. I then switched to the pure alcohol as my swab solution and the hangfires stopped! All I could figure was somewhere moisture was getting into the bolster area when I swabbed and stopping the spark. The pure alcohol did not cause that...

Slamfire the sights on the Stalker were not the greatest. They were hard to see in low light and non adjustable. I even painted them the first year with florsecent paint so they would show up better in the afternoon in the marsh. I finally went to Wal Mart when they were selling out their seasonal black powder supplies and bought a set of "Star Dot Fiber Optic Sight." They are not the greatest sights in the world. All plastic actually, like the other ones. But what a difference they made to these old eyes of mine when shooting.... They really show up nice..

Latest posts

Back