• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cva bobcat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry that you had bad luck with your Bobcat. I've had mine now for about 3 years and have not had any problems with it except for the first shot. You probably have some leftover oil in the snail from your last cleaning. Try shooting off a cap before your first loaded shot. My misfires were cured when I did this. I'm shooting 70 gr. of T7 ffg with a .49 round ball and am dead on at 75 Yds.

I must concure about the only thing good about my Bobcat is how reliable and accurate it is. It is one ugly duckling.

I got around 70 or so rounds through it with no misfires or hangfires.

I also agree. My little bobcat is ugly but once I put about a pound of modleing clay in the but stock and got the load right. It turned out to be the best 58.00 ive ever spent.

I love the little bobcat rifle for what it is.I bought 2 of them at Wallyworld.$54 each.I couldnt even think of buying the parts for that money.I put a set of fiber optic sights on the one for myself.That makes it sweet!! If I want to go drive deer out of a nasty brier filled hollow or hunt on a nasty day, that is the rifle I will be using.I will leave my nice rifle at home.I shoot goex powder out of these with no misfires.I tuned the locks up a little.I have thought about camo painting the stock, I just saw a new product called snake skins in Cabelas.It is a camo heat shrink wrap...for $12 I might think about doing that.
:) J.J.

Bobcats are the biggest piece of trash ever made. I've missed countless deer because it misfired. I got 2 balls stuck (not at same time) in the barrel because it would fire even after pouring powder down the nipple. I will say that I used Pyrodex and never tried BP in it. I would stay away from it even if you get it for $60.

Hi Paco I do not mean this disrespectfully but how much pb shooting have you done? And a second question is how much range time have you had with your Bobcat?

You are right to call the thing a piece of junk because of looks and all but the barrel lock and ballester are all 40yo design that work fine for most people and I want to help you get that rifle to shoot.

One thing I found worked good with the Bobcat was real black powder I used 3F 80-90g and patched round ball or a light conical (less than 320g) I use only CCI primers and I remove all traces of oil in the barrel and fire channel using Alchohol patches and snapping off a cap or two before loading. I then prick the nipple load the powder giving the barrel a little tap to force powder into the fire channel set the ball put on a cap and it always goes boom :thumbsup:

Don't give up on it, I'm sure you can get yours to shoot as good as ours.

I regret your bad experience with a Bobcat. I've liked mine so I'll offer you a $10 profit by making a bid of $70 on yours and I'll pay the postage.

I'm assuming normal wear and tear on your gun, of course.

:thumbsup:

GrayBear

I've just got to say a few things after some of the negative comments that were posted about the CVA Bobcat.

They are easy to afford, good shooting, light & handy, plain, simple, muzzleloading .50cal rifles. There are some little modifications that have been mentioned that can improve the gun--but they don't have to be done to make the guns work. Yes, some people may get a "lemon"... that can happen with toasters, or coffe makers, or whatever. Just about anything that can fail, does...! But I've never seen a Bobcat that was properly cared for fail at an inopportune time. I've probably shot at least 10-12 different Bobcats, (owned by friends and relatives) and I've noticed that they ALL worked well with the 70-90grFFg Black Powder, cloth patch, Hornady swaged round balls (.490diam.), and fresh CCI brand #11 percussion caps.

I even sacrificed (or thought I was doing so) a Bobcat to an overload test. I will NOT mention what the load was but you can be assured that it "should have" split the barrel open like a ripe milkweed pod. There were NO problems at all from that testing, and a friend of mine asked if he could have it next for some tests of his own. It never failed for him either and I think he still uses it for a brush gun.

I have nothing but praise for the Bobcat, as any negative traits (light weight, cheesy synthetic stock, crude sights, single trigger, etc.) are FAR outclassed by the positive aspects of this fine little muzzleloader. If you've got one (or more) consider yourself fortunate. I'm sure there are MORE people out there still wanting them, but they are sadly & permanently out of production.

Always shoot safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I have a CVA "Mountain Stalker" in .50 with a wood stock and rubber butt pad (factory). It is in better than fair condition and shoots well. I will ship it for $125.00

What is the heaviest bullet (besides PRB) that people are shooting in these? The manual says don't go over 400 and I see some post not to shoot over 320 for good results. I plan on using some type of bullet for hunting and a round ball for target and messing around. Most of the maxi and conicals seem to be real heavy in 50 cal.

How about some recommendations. Thanks everyone.

Nolucklarry I found that the REAL bullets made by the Lee mould worked well and a strange bullet sold by Traditions that looked like a ballet but was called a conical. It is a hollow point ballet that weights 295g I found them at K-Mart. Funny looking little bullets but they seem to shoot good in 48 twist rifles. The 320g bullets I mentioned are maxiballs and they shoot well too.

I must say though it is fun to spend a day at the range with the round balls shoot for hours and not break the bank.

I will also add that Triple Se7en also works great in the Bobcat but if your rifle is new it seems to chew up the patches a bit.

My bobcat never gives me any problems....only missfired once, but I neglected to fire a few caps first to clear the lube...accuracy is dead on at 50 yards...best 50 bucks I ever spent...

Back