• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA flinter--opinions?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJStricker

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

A guy I know is selling a CVA .45 flintlock. He bought it as a kit back in '86. He built it but never shot it. What kind of reliability/accuracy can I expect from it? I know it was one of the lower end kits compared to some of the fine works you guys build, but I was just curious as to whether I should get it or keep saving for something a little nicer.

Thanks!

i just picked up a .50cal cva plainsman flinter and love it. It was made in 1999.

If the price is right, why not go for it?

Grab it if yo can get it for what you think is a fair price. The guy probably spent about $100 for it back then. If needed, you can get a quality replacement lock for it from L&R Locks I believe.

I would pass on it and get a Lyman Trade rifle or Great Plains rifle. By the time you add the cost of a decent lock to the price of the rifle you would be better off to just buy a higher quality rifle.

That was my first flinter, bought it as a kit in 82 for 90.00. Nice little gun. The lock sparked good but was to slow for me then and I had a hard time keeping it on target, had a tendency to move to right of target. I sold it for 100.00. I have four caplocks now and they do good. The flinter just had to much hammer travel time for me then. Dilly

Don't know about thier flinters, but CVA percussions work nice. I picked up a .54 CVA Hawkens for a friend of mine. It is very accurate and dependable. Next thing I knew, he got another CVA Hawkens in a .50. Then he picked up two T/C Hawkens, a .50 and a .54. I'd say that first CVA got him hooked :rotf: If the bore is good, the lock works properly and the price is right, get it. Shoot it for awhile. As you collect other rifles use the CVA as a loaner for a friend :thumbsup:

I've found that CVA rifles shoot amazingly accurate, but their locks leave a bit to be desired.
If it was me, I'd get it and expect to have a good shooting gun, when it goes off. Chances are you will have to do some lock tuning, but for some of us, that's part of the challenge.

The first 2 flintlock rifles I owned were CVA's. I sold one to my late brother-in-law and the other I still have. The lock main spring will get weak over time and the stock may crack at the wrist. mine did. I moved on to bigger and better rifles but still the one CVA but I drilled out the barrel and sleeved it with a 32 cal insert plus added a L&R lock. I could of bought a better rifle with the money I spent changing my old gun over with but it's been with me for 25 years.
If you can't wait to save alittle more money for a better rifle buy it. It'll give you something to play with until you get the erg for something better..Good Shooting SS

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I already have 2 caplocks, a TC Renegade and a Lyman Trade Rifle.

This is my first flintlock. I talked to the guy again earlier to find out what he wanted for it. It turned out that he had it in his yard sale and couldn't sell it for $65. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $25. I went and picked it up and he said he had some spare parts for it. Turned out that the spares were the buttstock, lock, and trigger from another kit. So, I can afford to put a better lock on it, but I think the first thing will be the trigger, it's really sloppy.

$25.00? Deal at twice the price! I have a couple CVA flinters, never had a problem with locks, stocks, or barrels. Lota what we hear is from lack of proper care, but that will happen with any equipment that isnt taken care of. Have fun with it.

post some pics of it when you can. $25 is a hell of a deal, you could sell the lock on ebay for twice that :thumbsup:

I think you did OK, it should be a fun gun to get you into flintlocks,I have had a few of those and they were pretty good shooters in caplock, have fun.

CONGRATULATIONS! What a GREAT deal you made. :hatsoff: Good luck with your new toy.

Thanks guys. I was looking it over after I got it home, and thought that something wasn't quite right with the sights. Then I chuckled, cause I realized the guy had installed them backwards. Easy to fix though. The 2-piece stock is unusual, don't you think?

Back