• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Frontier project continues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william cook

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well,I did it!I removed all of the blueing from the barrel as it needed draw filing to smooth some bad places around the breech.Browning the barrel is next and my question is,has any one seen or used a product called "Japanese Brown Patina"by "Sculpt Nouveau".It look's very easy to apply and the color seems about what I am wanting.(You can watch a You Tube video to see it applied) Thank's,Bill.

No, never used that product. I would wonder how it would hold up to the handling, heat other things a gun barrel is subject to.
I use LMF (Laurel Mt. Forge) Cold Browning solution. It is very easy to use and results in a tough finish.

Yeah,never considered the toughness issue since this patina is for art work,guess I had better stick with what you guy's suggest.Thank's, Bill.

The video mentions that this is a true rusting process so it should make a finish that wears well.

He didn't say anything about humidity but I suspect that like the Laurel Mountain browning agent, a fairly high humidity may be needed.

On the other hand, I'm guessing about that and the liquid in the stuff might be enough to get the part to brown all by itself.

Notice, as he points out in the video, the surface must be fully degreased to remove all oils (including finger print oil).

Here's a link to the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTgjAVuY-cg

I will admit, it does look interesting. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the company to get some more info.on the product and the man I spoke with had not heard of this being used on a firearm.He mentioned putting some clear coating on the parts to protect them but that didn't sound like what I wanted to do.So,rather than spend the money on something unknown(this is a tight budget project)I ordered the LMF brown from Track.Thank's,Bill.

Well, darn! :(

I was hoping you would step to the forefront and blaze new territory.

As for his comment about using some "clear coat" I think he said that because he isn't aware of the fact that the brown rust will absorb oil which protects it and the surface under it.

Latest posts

Back