• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cva frontier rifle front sight help.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So long story short my grandpa gave me a cva frontier .50 cal. Short barrel I'll have measure it when I get home. It has a single trigger. He built its never been shot. But it's missing the front sight can someone help me out with a link to the sight I might need? Do I need to measure the dove tail? Also any input on this rifle is welcome.

Attachments

• 16256088889907122994088018641067.jpg
    16256088889907122994088018641067.jpg
    52.6 KB
Here's a link to a list of parts for your rifle from Deer Creek. You'll see the front sight listed as well as many other parts.

I have one of those, it was my first BP rifle and it's a nice little shooter for an entry level rifle. I shoot 65 grains of Goex, .490 ball and a .018 pillow ticking patch. Have fun!

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/store/c41/CVA_Frontier_Rifle_Parts.html

Thanks for the fast reply. I just ordered one. I plan on deer hunting with it or letting my boy shoot it. Do you know the max load it would handle of 2f goex?

Thanks for the fast reply. I just ordered one. I plan on deer hunting with it or letting my boy shoot it. Do you know the max load it would handle of 2f goex?
Just search on line & you will find the manual for your rifle that you can print out. Load recommendations are in the manual.

If you never installed a sight in a dovetail slot, you'll most likely have to do a little filing to get it to start.
Take off a little bit at a time. Don't file the dovetail itself.

So long story short my grandpa gave me a cva frontier .50 cal. Short barrel I'll have measure it when I get home. It has a single trigger. He built its never been shot. But it's missing the front sight can someone help me out with a link to the sight I might need? Do I need to measure the dove tail? Also any input on this rifle is welcome.
The barrel should measure at 24". The original sight is I believe a standard bead on blade. One thing I've found that I dislike about the CVA adjustible rear sight is that when adjusted all the way down (the position that I always start with and often find is where I want it for 50-75 yard shooting) the elevation screw head will obsure the notch in the rear sight. If I were you I would consider a slightly taller front sight that could be filed after your most accurate load is found with the rear sight notch unobscured.
My Frontier .50 likes .490 round ball with a pillow tick patch; I've used 3f black powder (because I have it) from 45 grains upto 65 grains and gotten good centered groups. I did try lighter loads just to see, but, they opened up a bit.
If you just want to replace the original front sight I think that Deer Creek probably has it.

Mine shot both RBs and the Lee REALs very good. A friend hounded me until I sold it to him even though I knew better. He doesn't take care of stuff and he of coarse shot it and tossed in in the back of his truck and forgot about it.

The barrel should measure at 24". The original sight is I believe a standard bead on blade. One thing I've found that I dislike about the CVA adjustible rear sight is that when adjusted all the way down (the position that I always start with and often find is where I want it for 50-75 yard shooting) the elevation screw head will obsure the notch in the rear sight. If I were you I would consider a slightly taller front sight that could be filed after your most accurate load is found with the rear sight notch unobscured.
My Frontier .50 likes .490 round ball with a pillow tick patch; I've used 3f black powder (because I have it) from 45 grains upto 65 grains and gotten good centered groups. I did try lighter loads just to see, but, they opened up a bit.
If you just want to replace the original front sight I think that Deer Creek probably has it.
Just re-read my own reply post; hopefully everyone realizes that "obsure" is the new math spelling for OBSCURE.:doh:

These shorter barreled guns seem to get happy and accurate with well below max loads. Somewhere between 60 and 75 grains of powder under a patched roundball for hunting works for many. For short range plinking (<50 yards) you may find a charge as little as 25 or 30 grains accurate and pleasant to shoot. Here are generic load recommendations from CVA.
1625934918975.jpeg

Back