• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawken, Older

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
An auction acquaintance who does some helping at an auction down in Jersey was given an older CVA Hawken rifle KIT. (In Jersey, you need an FFL transfer on muzzle loaders!) Anyway, he doesn't seem to want to build it, had zero into it, the box was opened, it was behind a cabinet; they were doing clean-outs. He's gonna send me an e-mail pics of it, and will be open to offers, but he did emphasize he has zero into it. If it seems complete, I will make an offer; I know a friend who is interested in getting into some casual target shooting with muzzle loaders, so maybe this will go somewhere! I wonder if the "older" ones are "better" than newer ones? Anybody have any ideas about the quality of newer CVA's vs. Older ones? Might be fun to try striping the stock! Thats' STRIPING, not Stripping!

Last edited:
I haven't owned enough or any 2 of the same model to make that comparison but I've heard that any older CVA is better quality than a newer one.

I've got one CVA Hawken and it is a considerably older model. I have other newer CVA rifles that are not Hawken and, while they are all decent rifles, the Hawken seems to be a better built and stronger rifle than the newer ones. Then I have a CVA Frontier, that is somewhat CVA Hawkenesque, that is a fantastic rifle. Don't know the age of it but seems to have been around for awhile. I got it used for $125 and it is a stout little gun too compared to the newer ones. The triggers are better in the older ones and the locks a bit stronger.

I've got one CVA Hawken and it is a considerably older model. I have other newer CVA rifles that are not Hawken and, while they are all decent rifles, the Hawken seems to be a better built and stronger rifle than the newer ones. Then I have a CVA Frontier, that is somewhat CVA Hawkenesque, that is a fantastic rifle. Don't know the age of it but seems to have been around for awhile. I got it used for $125 and it is a stout little gun too compared to the newer ones. The triggers are better in the older ones and the locks a bit stronger.
Thanks. I'll post if I wind up getting this one; I'm kinda friendly with the guy, a fellow auction=goer, and slip him goodies like the spare ctgs. or such.

Older is betta!

The cva hawken first came out in 1980. 80 to 86ish often had walnut stock.
1000007343.jpg

Latest posts

Back