• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw an odd smoothbore in a LGS today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
At first glance I thought it was a copy of a generic ACW style rifle musket. Top of the barrel was marked SPESCO, Made in Belgium. Had a patch box similar to a 1804 Harpers Ferry, ribs along the trigger guard similar to some European muskets. Lock was marked Tower, 1861. Rear sight was a ladder style that reminded me more of an 03 Springfield sight than anything from the percussion era. It was approximately 12ga smoothbore. Looked pretty clean and I thought about bringing it home, briefly.

At first glance I thought it was a copy of a generic ACW style rifle musket. Top of the barrel was marked SPESCO, Made in Belgium. Had a patch box similar to a 1804 Harpers Ferry, ribs along the trigger guard similar to some European muskets. Lock was marked Tower, 1861. Rear sight was a ladder style that reminded me more of an 03 Springfield sight than anything from the percussion era. It was approximately 12ga smoothbore. Looked pretty clean and I thought about bringing it home, briefly.
Maybe something put together by someone. Africa trade? Did you google SPESCO? 🤔

"SPESCO was an importer based in Atlanta, Ga. They imported inexpensive firearms from all over and sold them in retail stores such as Kmart, Western Auto, etc."

"They were imported to the US by various manufacturers and sold mostly in department stores, hardware stores, and outdoors retailers."

SPESCO imported Taurus and other inexpensive cartridge guns. All I can find on them is that they were probably active in the 60s and 70s. The quotes above came from a handgun forum and are several years old. I do recall the name but that's all I can remember so I guess they weren't big in the blackpowder field.

Doing a 'net search I found several references to SPESCO branded percussion revolvers and one picture of a SPESCO musket. However the picture showed a back action lock and this example has a front action lock. The lock might actually be a Tower lock. My suspicion is that whatever Belgian company actually assembled these had a warehouse full of surplus parts and assembled them with new made barrels. This probably hung over someone's fireplace since the 60's.

Back in the 60's, there was an antique store near me with a sign of the door that said, "No Guns or Weapons For Sale!" The guy must've gotten tired of people coming in asking about such!😀

Doing a 'net search I found several references to SPESCO branded percussion revolvers and one picture of a SPESCO musket. However the picture showed a back action lock and this example has a front action lock. The lock might actually be a Tower lock. My suspicion is that whatever Belgian company actually assembled these had a warehouse full of surplus parts and assembled them with new made barrels. This probably hung over someone's fireplace since the 60's.
I believe you're correct, Sir!

Some years ago I ran across a similar Belgian made flintlock musket, in 16 ga. It was marked Dixie Gun Works through and not SPESCO. In my research in trying to figure out what it was, I did run across the SPESCO name, and it seems that they, and some others, including Dixie, brought in a lot of these "revolutionary war era replicas" in the mid-seventies for the centennial of the AR. From all accounts I read, sales of these were quite brisk in the latter part of the decade and seems after a few years they were, not being exacting enough for reenactors, although still quite shootable, relegated to the closet or wall hanger status.

Like I said not really historically accurate, but they have a "history" in their own right, of being a celebratory piece "of history" and they will shoot. I have shot mine mostly as a fowling piece with 16-gauge wads and shot, and the barrel being of modern steel I have no qualms about shooting it. with shot or ball.

OK - here goes - OP said "Saw an odd smoothbore in a LGS today" - now I maybe out of touch with all the acronyms being thrown around here and other forums but WHAT THE HECK IS - "LGS"? :dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

I didn't want to show too much interest, makes it harder to negotiate. He's only asking $225 but I'd like to see it closer to $200 cash. I'll be by his way Monday. My first ML was a flint Belgian trade musket I bought at a yard sale in the early 70's for $25. Used it for everything from squirrel to deer. Traded it off because I thought I needed a rifle.

I didn't want to show too much interest, makes it harder to negotiate. He's only asking $225 but I'd like to see it closer to $200 cash. I'll be by his way Monday. My first ML was a flint Belgian trade musket I bought at a yard sale in the early 70's for $25. Used it for everything from squirrel to deer. Traded it off because I thought I needed a rifle.
Someone will grab it and you'll be sorry! For a measly $25, you can get it, clean it up, later sell for 250 or more perhaps. ;)

Inexpensive "zouave" ???

Of course then who can accurately define "inexpensive" today not that a modest lunch for 2 can cost upwards of $50!!

Latest posts

Back