• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Hawkin made in USA/Spain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohio ramrod

75 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a CVA Hawkin to restore for a friend, it has a USA barrel, Spainish lock and unknown double phase set triggers.The gun is iron mounted except for a pewter nose cap. There are a lot of poor fitting inletting and you need to set the trigger before the gun will cock.( poor inletting )Does any one know of any factory guns so made? It appears to be a modified kit poorly done with a LOT of rust damage. But with some kroil and the hot wrench I seem to have everything working. When it stops raining I'll see if lapping the bore has salvaged it or wheather I will have to "freshen" the rifling.The bore doesn't look very good but the test will be in the grouping.

It's a CVA Mountain Rifle,
I'm holding mine in the avatar,
Some where factory others where kits, do a search and you'll come up with some good topics on this rifle.
Got mine second hand, it's a 1st run factory gun. I did have to do some work on the front of the trigger inlet (add some) and the through stock tang bolt area. Typical CVA lock, needs polishing.
It's a tack driver,, I won't part with it. :thumbsup:

I did have to do some work on the front of the trigger inlet (add some)
Me too! Shimmed the front of the trigger plate in the inlet with a nylon washer cut in half.I can now set the trigger in any stage.

Yep...Sounds like an early CVA Mountain Rifle. I have a factory built one I bought new in probably 1979 or 80. It has always functioned perfectly, and been an excellent shooter. No fit, finish problems with mine. I love it, and it has taken several deer over the years.
I hope you can save your bore. They were good shooters.

I hope you were able to get the barrel up to par. Those early Mountain Rifles had Douglas barrels on them and were tack drivers.

I have had mine since the late seventies and it is still going fine. For a 25 and 50 yard target load I use a .495 ball with a .023 ticking patch with 50 grains of 3F. That load will keep everything within an inch off the bench at 50 yards. Yours may need a little different load but you can try that as a starting point.

Yep, save that USA barrel if at all possible. My USA 45 MR is easily the most accurate ML rifle I've even owned. Only ML I have that will out shoot it is my 45 CVA Siber pistol (at appropriate ranges).

BriR,

The Made in USA barrels are clearly marked as such, so that in itself will tell you if your barrel is one of them. It appears that these barrels were included with the 45/50 caliber percussion MR rifles and kits made from sometime in 1975 to sometime in 1978. The flintlock MR's were not a catalog offering until at least 1978 (not offered in my '77 catalog, I don't have a '78 catalog, but they are in my 1979 catalog). Speculation only I know, but it comes from my fair collection of old CVA cataogs, price lists, and company letters, and my MR data base that I've assembled from several ML forums (including one member on this forum who is certain he got his MR as a Christmas present in 1975). About all I can suggest that is certain is that the MR's were not yet a catalog item in the 1975 CVA catalog, and by their 1979 catalog the MR's were no longer advertised as Made in USA (and some embellishments on the rifles had been changed to a different design by then). So I assume the transition between MR generations started sometime in 1977 or 1978.

As for the barrels themselves, a lot of speculation has been passed on for years that the Made in USA barrels were made by Douglas or Sharon or other US companies. I am guilty of trusting and so passing on some of the same in years past with only the explaination that I had put my trust in what a CVA employee that had been with CVA from the very start that I talked to several years ago told me about all the models I discussed with him, including the early MR's. About 3 years ago a member here who knew Don Kammerer from before when he designed and built the first MR protype for CVA until his death offered some great detailed history on the birth of the CVA MR's. Per Steve the first protype rifle built by Don had a Douglas barrel, but he believes that the production MR rifles offered later by CVA did not. Instead he suggests they had Spanish made barrels copied from a Douglas barrel sample taken to Spain by Don and CVA's Dave Silk for the CVA MR project, and to teach them how to make better barrels. The fly in the ointment with Steve's version about the early barrels for me is that my early Made in USA MR's barrel has no Spanish proof marks, while all the other barrels on the other 6 CVA models I owned at the time did have Spainish proof marks. So even though I've found no positive proof I'll trust who made the first MR barrels for the Made in USA production MR's, I still have to believe that these rifles did not have Spainish made barrels.

It has also been said that a very few much higher end MR's were made early on that went to folks in CVA's inner circle. Whether that is fact or mistaken idenity of examples from the Premier Grade MR's CVA offered in the late 80's, or standard early production MR's that had been upgraded by their owners I have no idea.

Regardless, its a dark web we weave when we speculate without proof positive data. Memory alone doesn't provide that IMO.

Interesting stuff here. I too have a CVA Mountain Rifle (Made in USA)and really like it. The only problem I have had is with the fly in the lock.... I broke it doing stupid stuff. Bought another on ebay and had to really work it to make function properly.It seems to work fine now but I have my doubts about the lock in general.

A question to you guys, Does L & R make a replacement lock for these rifles? I like mine well enough to spend the extra money on it if they do.

And where is the best place to buy one.

005-1.jpg

The gun is ready to shoot. Here is a photo ( I hope ). Too bad I did't take any before I started to work on the gun. It was a real mess the triggers and lock were rusted solid but with some time, kroil, and a little hot wrench all is working well. Also I rebedded the lock and triggers so all works as it is supposed to.

Like Walks Alone says,the "Made In USA" mark on a Mountain Rifle barrel is impossible to miss. Here's how it looks on mine:

S6000692.jpg

Iche Iia said:

A question to you guys, Does L & R make a replacement lock for these rifles? I like mine well enough to spend the extra money on it if they do.

And where is the best place to buy one.

L&R does make a replacement lock. You can just order it directly from L&R.

I had always heard they were Douglas barrels. I have heard some people say they were Sharon barrels. I think they are confused with the T/C Hawken. Sharon made the barrels for the T/C Hawken for the first year or so until T/C started making their own.

I have wondered about the use of Douglas barrels on the first few years of the Mountain Rifle. As I remember Douglas barrels always had some run out and had what was supposed to be the bottom flat marked. I have never seen the bottom flat marked on any Mountain Rifle.

As with you, I have always seen proof marks on the Spanish barrels and none on the American made marked barrels.

Back