• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Kentucky Pistol Trigger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojin

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Years ago I put together a CVA Kentucky Pistol from a kit. I just started shooting it and I find the trigger pull to be horrible. How would I go about polishing certain parts in the lock to improve this.

Your problem may come from any of three things.
The most common is the strength of the sear spring.
This is the U shaped spring at the back of the lock that presses down on the sear arm. They are often much stronger than they need to be.
They can be improved by reducing the width of the lower area of the spring by careful filing but if you try this remember, the spring must be strong enough to assure 100 percent engagement of the sear with the tumbler 100 percent of the time.

Another problem may be the location of the pivot for the trigger.
If it is too far away from the sear arm, the result will be a heavy trigger pull. Unfortunately, this problem usually cannot be corrected easily.

The third thing that can make the trigger pull feel uneven is the roughness of the sear nose and the tumbler full cock notch.
Here is a link to an old post about improving this condition:
POLISHING THE SEAR
To do this job properly, the lock will have to be disassembled, and the only safe way to do this IMO is to use a Mainspring Vise which can be purchased at TOTW or MLS

zonie :)

the only safe way to do this IMO is to use a Mainspring Vise

where is your sense of adventure? don't you like chasing parts across the kitchen? :blah:

I don't mind chasing the parts around the kitchen as long as they are still in one piece.
I really hate having to find the two pieces of a mainspring after it breaks though.

zonie :grin:

Latest posts

Back