• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA mountain pistol kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a vintage but still new in-box CVA mountain pistol kit. The styrofoam box is in great shape while the cardboard sleeve naturally shows a bit of shelf wear. the various components are rust-free. It still has the original assembly instruction manual along with a warranty booklet. The latter would be worthless at this point since this kit has to be 45 years old at least. I'm guessing that the pre-inletted stock light-colored stock is maybe poplar. According to the end label, it's a .50 cal. Their kits were pretty well-known as beginner level so it should be a snap to finish.

At my age, I'm probably never going to get around to assembling and finishing it so I intend to list it here for sale. I bought just about all of their cannon kits at the time and finished all of those but one. I'm just wondering how to price it. It has a hooked breach and a spring belt clip although the clip is optional since there is a duplicate base piece to use if one doesn't want to use the clip. Anyway, I just wondering what a fair price would be to put on this. I thought of maybe going with a $200 to $225 range plus shipping. Is that over or under what I should list it? I have no clue what I paid for it back in the late 70s. Maybe $50 or $75. Using an inflation calculator $50 from 1978 is equal to $240 in 2024 dollars. while $75 is $361.

Thanks in advance for any input.

There are a couple CVA kits in GunBroker, or at least there was a couple days ago. You could look there to maybe get an idea of what the market was doing. There is also, as if yesterday, a couple of mountain pistols used on there too for reference. Should be able to get at least a couple hundred bucks for it.

Or answer number two: they're only worth about twenty bucks in an unfinished kit so just tell me where to send the check 🤣

Thanks, gentlemen,

I had done several searches here but was using the term Mountain pistol and while I found some threads discussing them I didn't find any that had been for sale. I also looked on gunbroker.com but when I came up blank on either a pistol or a kit, I forgot to go to the advanced setting to look for past sales. I should have known better. There were at least 5 or 6 mostly finished guns with prices ranging from $200 up to $395

So I guess the wood is beech and not poplar. Otherwise, I guess I'm in the right ballpark for kit price.

Thanks for the replies:thumb:

I think your price guess is right on. Deer Creek still had their versions, which were repackaged CVA kits up till about 5 years ago. They sold them for $150, I bought 2 at the time.

Latest posts

Back