• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slumlord44

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Reviewed all the previous posts and still not sure. USA marked barrels were made in the USA. Spain marked barrels were made in Spain. Where were the unmarked barrels made? Had a Spain marked .50 Cal two screw patchbox delivered today that I just bought on Gunbroker. Beautiful, pristine factory made gun. Could pass for unfired but the circular grove cut in the ramrod to indicate the loaded point on the ramrod leads me to belive it has been fired. I also have an ummarked .54 and .58 that were apparently kit guns. These have unmarked barrels and no patchbox. Started buying these late last fall and have not shot any of them yet. Weather is better now but other things are eating up my time. Now if I could just find one in .45.

Have you seen member "Walks Alone" topics on the CVA MR subject? It's pretty extensive with over 120 posts. The problem with this is that CVA destroyed all of their records. There's a lot of conjecture floating around out there on this subject. I also have a totally unmarked version except for the word "SPAIN" stamped in very tiny letters on the inside bottom of the lock plate. All I can really tell you myself is good luck with it.

The 54 and 58 caliber CVA Mountain Rifle "Bog Bores" were factory produced without patch boxes.

I have a USA marked CVA Mountain Rifle in 50 caliber that I built from a kit. While it is a USA marked rifle, the nipple threads and lock threads are metric. The nipple is a 6 x 1.0 metric thread. So you won't likely to be able to determine country of origin from the thread size on your rifles.

My unmarked version has the two screw PB, but also has the round ramrod thimbles as opposed to the hexagonal ones that were supposedly only supplied on the later Spanish made rifles which leads me to believe that I have either a transitional model of one of the first Spanish made rifles put together with parts that went to Spain when CVA gave up the ghost on the guns, or possibly one that was made by Deer Creek....But who knows? The only thing for certain about these rifles is that we'll never know for sure on any of the rifles that are NOT marked "Made In the USA", and even then there is no sure fire way of telling what yr those rifles were made. The CVA MR mystery trudges ever forward! LOL

My understanding is the sans-patchbox .45's and .50's at least were made in Spain, so, that's most of your answer I think.

I own one of these Hawken's in .50...

I bought mine new in late 1978 early 1979.
No place of origin on the barrel.
Just Connecticut Valley Arms
Black Powder Only
and a serial number

Back