• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Austin

36 Cl.
Reaction score
This one. 31CF95E2-BBAB-4B74-B438-8383FAFAC2A9.jpeg

Two things. A little context may help this thread.
That does not look like the CVA Mountain rifle stocks I have as the ramrod entry site appears to use a thimble, rather than the typical metal nose of the CVA rifles.
More experienced readers may give more accurate info.

Two things. A little context may help this thread.
That does not look like the CVA Mountain rifle stocks I have as the ramrod entry site appears to use a thimble, rather than the typical metal nose of the CVA rifles.
More experienced readers may give more accurate info.
Bought two CVA Mountain rifles in 1977. Wife wanted a rifle for the shoots. Modified hers with a poured nosecap and a cheekpiece that didn't leave a bruise. Straightened out the lines built her a buttstock that was narrow...beat it out of water heater iron and filed it., New triggerguard from round rod...new sights outta 3/4 inch square stock. She won a couple of ladies events and sold it. The husband of the lady that bought it said..."This is a CVA." He was indignant. I said, "So? It shoots don't it?"

I had it in my mind to make a flintlock outta the other. This is the other. I've been messing with it for 47 years. I totally screwed the barrel getting the barrel nipple out and then lost it. I'm pleased nobody recognizes it as a CVA. Success! Oh...that's the wood where the CVA ramrod goes. I haven't decided what to do there.

82nd birthday coming up...2 days.

Last edited:
Sanded a bit more. The very dark finish was or is aqua fortis. The black dye was because I never neutralized the process. The stock kept getting darker and I didn't know why. The spots on the wood? Just starting to rain. Came a gullywasher. I walked in the house and it was a full blown frog strangler I learned a new trick...cropping...Ize so proud. In the mid '70's CVA was a death knell. "Junk cheap spanish made manure that don't look like anything old."
FDB27FFF-4290-429C-BFED-43695D85B9BE_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back