• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA Mountain Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
New find. Was out looking and came across this rifle. I had an early post about a 1 1/8 inch barrel, but the seller had made an era reading the ruler. There is a piece of wood broken on the toe of the butt stock. Its a 54 cal,1 inch barrel,31 inch in length with no barrel markings. It has a 54 stamped on the barrel and nothing else. Its a slow twist for sure. The patch box is German silver. The steel trigger guard is different. Steel butt plate and pewter nose cap. The triggers are crisp. It shot very well as I took 65grs of goex FF, .526 ball and a .018 patch. At 75 yards 3 shot group was a baseball size off a rest. Shot about 4 inches low. So its going to be a shooter. Here's some pictures.

CVA003.jpg

CVA001.jpg

019.jpg

I know an old fellow who used to shoot matches in the '60s and '70s. His wife and kids shot, too, and they were all very good.... Now this guy didn't have a lot of money, but he would scrimp and save and load up wife and kids with the rifles and drive 200 miles, if necessary, to shoot in a match. And they shot to WIN! He told me that his favorite rifle for winning matches with was a CVA Mountain Rifle. "Deep lands and grooves," he'd say, and then recall with laughter how many times he outshot the competitors who had expensive custom rifles.

I have one of each. Old ones from the 70's. The cap lock has never been shot. I got it off E-bay in a kit, he had lost 150.00 worth of parts I had to buy. I couldn't get the square ramrod thimbles for it as they don't have them anymore. The trigger guard,not like yours was 32.00. They(Deer Creek) sent me round thimbles.Lock&triggers were 100.00. I have 300.00 in it but is a new gun. I only paid 100.00 for the flint model. Nice guns, mine are .45. :thumbsup: Dilly

Dilly
According to others this big bore should not have a patch box. The barrel is a slow twist but unmarked just 54. The thimbles are round on this one. I think some has semi customized this and done a fine job. The triggers are excellent.

The barrel on the flint has Connecticut Valley Arms .45 on . The cap lock has the same plus Made in U.S.A.. They have the 4 screw patchbox. Low serial numbers 0072620-flint. 0031750-cap. :thumbsup: Dilly

I looked in my old 1884 CVA catalog and the 54&58 don't show a patch-box. Barrel(.58) is one inch flats, the 58 is 1-72 twist . It don't have any .45 Mt rifles listed,just.50,.54,58. The .50 has 15-16 flats. I all so have two .45 Kentucky's not marked Spain. Got the one off the same guy who had the Mt cap lock. :thumbsup: Dilly

This one has no serial number any place. I'm not sure who made this barrel. No proof marking just (54) and that's it. I have looked over the stock to see if there's any stamps. I have found nothing. Someone has wrote 65 in the patch box which has two screw. Its a mystery to me. But its a shooter.

From what I have gathered, the Caliber-marked only barrels were American made kit barrels for early models before they were strictly imported from Spain. I have a similarly marked 50 cal.Mine also shoots very well so far with 65 grains FFg, although I have only started to sight it in. My story is similar to Boar-Dilly bought the stock and some of the hardware on flea bay and the rest of the parts from Deer Creek. I have $275 into mine.

Ghettogun
Thank for the information. The fellow I got it from had figured it to be and early model also. I hope to find more info on this. I have questioned the the trigger guard on the rifle how original it might be. I goggle up CVA mountain rifle and found several with this style trigger guard and all were said to be early CVA Mt Rifles. So who knows. This is very interesting to me so I will keep researching and post any thing I find. I know most say these early CVA's had Douglas barrels. But most said USA made. Later and thanks

No proof stamps on the barrel would indicate to me that it is a usa manufactured barrel, from who, I have no clue, but have seen other american made barrels with nothing on them on guns of all sorts.
Have not seen any spanish or italian barrels without proff stamps, but not to say they dont exist!

The trigger guard is a tad different than mine, and mine is an early mt rifle. I have more of a "virginia" type trigger guard.

Its a deer creek northwest rifle. They are the same as a cva mountain rifle, only the trigger guards are different style and deer creek uses Douglas barrels on them. You found a nice rifle! Curly maple stock too. Ive had 4 mountain rifles over the past couple years and they are excellent shooters.

Try .530" round ball with either a .015 or .018 patch. My 54s loved any where from 80 to 100gr Pyrodex RS.

My old .45cal northwest rifle i had. I miss her.
100_3478.jpg

With all the recent post about CVA mountain rifles I got mine out to look at the barrel for markings. there are no markings whatsoever not even for caliber, which is fifty. This is a kit gun I purchased in the late 1980's.................watch yer top knot

I can remember a company called wilderness rifle works, that had a gun that looked like the mountain rifle with differnt trigger guards,using what seem to be cva parts.Maybe this is one?

Back