• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA mountain stalker .54 caliber 1:38 twist.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker2

54 Cal.
Reaction score
CVA mountain stalker .54 caliber 1:38 twist.
I was at a gun auction, :) the only black powder gun at the auction, it sold for next to nothing. Nobody wanted a muzzle loader.

So is it not going to shoot a round ball? Are there any other caliber barrels available for it? Smooth bores?

What kind of load can I shoot in it?
I am not a fan of plastic stocks, but as a knock about?
So”¦ keep it, shoot it, or pass it on?

Thanks
Tinker2

I have the same gun also bought dirt cheap at Wall-Mart several yars ago. Found a wood stock for it at Deer Creek I think. Even though it has a 1:38 twist mine shoots round ball nicely with charges in the 65 to 75 grain range. I like mine very much.

Don

IIRC that has a 24" barrel doesn't it? The faster twist on a shorter barrel is not as big of an issue as rifling depth.If it has good meaty rifling it will shoot roundball well. As stated, you can probably get either a Frontier or Sharpshooter model stock in wood from Deer Creek.

I have a CVA mountian stalker in .50 with a 1:48 twist. MIne is a good PRB shooter once you spend the time to work up a load.

Bob

Horizontal Hunt said:
I have a CVA mountian stalker in .50 with a 1:48 twist. MIne is a good PRB shooter once you spend the time to work up a load.

Bob

Me too, and I agree w/ you.

Only problem I have with this little gun is the plastic stock. It catches me right under the cheek bone and hurts like heck after a few hours shooting.

Guess I'll go check out Deer Creek.

Back