• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA vs. DixieGunWorks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, Iam wondering which is a better company. CVA or Dixiegunworks. Ive heard both have issues...but between the 2 wich produces "better" BP pistols? Where are they each made? Im guessing CVA is made in USA, but what about dixiegunworks?

So just tell about your experiences with each brand...good or bad.

CVA doesn't have any BP guns any more except Inlines, no real MLer's. Dixie Imports most of their guns from Italy either Pietta or Pedersoli for the most part.

Almost all of the CVA pistols were made in Spain.
The exception is a few revolvers which were imported from Italy back in the 1960 to early 1970s.
I own a CVA Walker that was made in 1967 in Italy by someone and it is a very nicely made gun.

I've never heard of a CVA rifle that wasn't made in Spain.

zonie :)

Dam..that's strike two !

OK, other than some of the early CVA Mountain Rifles which may or may not have a Douglas Barrel, I haven't heard of any. :grin:

The later Mountain Rifles were made in Spain (I think).

zonie :)

some of the first cva ky rifle kits were made in the u.s.a. with douglass bbls also. :thumbsup:

ah Rebel that's 2 strikes and a few "fouled balls" punn intended. He did mention that they may have had douglas bbl :winking:

As you can see, the fit-hit-the-shan! Actually, CVA was a maker/importer while Dixie is strictly an importer/seller. Dixie carries revolvers by Pietta & Uberti, the latter being the better...except for the hideous mud-red stock stain they still insist on using! One day.... :rotf:

My wife bought me a CVA kentucky long rifle 45 cal.as a gift in the early 80's, I have no idea where they were making them then.Anybody know?
I still have that rifle,wouldnt trade it for anything.

I have several CVA guns (rifles, pistols and shotguns) purchased as kits in the late 70's/early 80's. All the barrels were made in Spain.

I've never been impressed with any CVA product that I've owned. If given the choice, choose an Italian made model over a Spanish one. If you're looking for revolvers, Uberti seems to make the best of the affordable models, though Pietta is catching up on quality.

Check the fine print on yore barrels, if there's a line that reads:
(700kp/cm2) it was made in Spain. :winking:
I think a lot of CVA muzzys were made by Jukar. :surrender:

I have cva kentucky rifle and it was from a kit that sold 30 years ago and it has jukar stamped on the barrel , shucks I was hopin for a douglas barrel oh well .

The Hege-Siber spin offs that CVA sold in the US are about as fine a BP pistol as you'll find anywhere. Close to the quality of their namesake (but not anywhere near the cost), they are well above most of the other offerings you'll ever see for a more or less production sidelock pistola. I love my 45 capper - so does everybody else that sees or shoots it. BTW, the Hege 31's win most of the European matches.

This topic seemed to have gotten off topic. I have twenty CVA bp revolvers in my collection. All were made by Armi San Marco. CVA imported and distributed the Remington 1858 New Model Army made by EN Santa Barbara of Spain but never marked these guns CVA. Dixie used several manufacturers for their guns including Palmetto, Pietta, Uberti, and Armi San Paolo.

P.S. If anyone has a Santa Barbar revolver marked CVA I would like to buy it.

Latest posts

Back