• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

D bit to bore a barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A drill is fine for a starter hole but the last pass needs to be done with a reamer.

Have you looked at reamers on Brownell's Website catalogue? Brownell's makes the tooling for most gunsmiths. You should be able to google the name, or simply go up to the member resources on this forum's index page, then scroll down to " Links" to find Brownell's link.

Thanks...put it into favourites
Do you know how I go about making the hickory backed reamer suggested in my earlier advice request? I can bore my barrel to .5 easily with the tooling I have, but to take it to .52....well I dont recon lapping with emery will work...I need something more accurate (oh, and I dont want to spend money!)

Just to clarify things, your balls come out at .500????
Couldn't tell you about the hickory boring tool, but chucking reamers shouldn't cost that much, but I suppose for a one of job, it does drive up the cost. You're probably looking at a 13mm reamer. I found one here in the States on-line for less than $20.00.
http://www.discount-tools.com/lav-mm533.cfm

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how a hickory backed rifling cutter is made, but I have not seen a reamer made that way. Sorry.

If you look at Coyote Joe's Choking tool pictures, you might get an idea on how to make an adjustable reamer to finish your bore.

Add postage to uk too! figure Ill ream to 1/2 " (got the tool) and make a hone to take out the last 20 thou
Thanks for that
Derek

Latest posts

Back