• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus Blades

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked Dixies site out..Seems they use the same steels John does to make damascus..They seem a tad high on price for what looks like simple twist pattern damascus

Not trying to steal the thread but here is what the handforged damascus looks like..
P4071483.jpg

Thougt I read before here somewhere that Mikey made some damascus blades. Might be worth asking him, or he might know a good supplier.

Rick

Hey Old Ford,

If you are ever on Ebay, look for knife blanks made by Grand Leavitt or Two Fingers Knives. They are made here in the USA of good carbon steel. The rest are buyer beware, as they are often imported from India or Pakistan, where export damascus is often made with junk steel.

NJStricker

striker, do you think the one i have is "junk" steel...cause if it is, i don't want it..LOL...and i'm sorry for offering bad advice to Ford...Lee

DEADDAWG said:
Thougt I read before here somewhere that Mikey made some damascus blades. Might be worth asking him, or he might know a good supplier.

Rick

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but NO, I do not make damascus blades. Too much work for what little you can get out of it. Although I have made a few Scandinavian style knife blades - tool steel core with soft iron wrapped around it.

I see that Crazy Crow offers a bunch of damascus steel and knife blanks. Don't know the quality, but most of their stuff is imported.

You might check with the Russell Knife Company out of NW Arkansas. There is at least one steel mill/company that is welding up big sheets of damascus - with big hydraulic roller presses. And then various knife blank shapes are cut out of them.

A bunch of years ago, I picked up a damascus 2-blade folding knife made by Parker USA Cutlery out of Alabama. They did the big sheets and pattern cut-out knives process. But I heard they went out of business a number of years ago.

So you might have some luck checking out the various big knife companies. Otherwise you will have to find an individual smith to forge something up for you. BLADE magazine might also have some links for you.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. I know several knife makers who forge up their own damascus. Bill Fiorini, Howard Clark, J P Miller. But I don't know if they sell just the forged up damascus steel. A web search should lead you to their web sites, and you could then ask.

That folded metal is pretty stuff but I simply wet myself every time I see a knife made of W1 or 1095 with a Hamon line. The knives are way superior to folded steel. You might want to check out blades like that as an alternative.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

I'm with Loyd on Damascus. It is pretty, but not superior in cutting. It is also not correct for re-enacting American times. It simply was not here unless it came in with an immigrant European of some wealth. Many believe it was a lost form of steel making, and resurrected by Bill Moran in the early seventies, but acually it was always available in Europe, especially Germany, since it's introduction in medieval times. Many high ranking German officers of WWII wore Damascus dress daggers. I would caution anyone planning to purchase the Paki, or India made damascus. Much of it is made from junk steel that will not harden.

Latest posts

Back