• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Damascus Steel Knives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
Does anyone know if damascus steel blades are period correct for the mountain man era?

"The reason Damascus steel is so beautiful is because it requires skill to produce, more than any other material we work with. It is capable of reflecting the knowledge, craftsmanship and sensitivity of the bladesmiths who hammer and fold the wires."

http://www.damascusknife.com/knifpage.htm

I know the bronze age was a tad bit too far back, but, I would love to have a bronze patch knife.

I don't know if this helps but it looks like around 1200 to 1300 AD the 'Pattern Weld' disappears.

3000 to 2000 BC Neolithic period Around 2800, 2700 BC the first uses of meteoric iron in Egypt2500 BC the first iron tools are used in Anatolia and Mesopotamia

2000 to 1000 BC Copper and bronze period

Around 2000 BC, the Hittites living in the east of the present Turkey collect the iron ore and melt it in small furnaces. 1200 BC is the ending period of the Hittites peoples, probably the blacksmiths spread in the neighboring countries and share their knowledge. From 1500 to 1000 BC the first iron tools and weapons production centers become very active in Greece, Cyprus, Crete and Macedonia. In South India melted iron is extensively used.

1000 to 500 BC Iron period
Around 1000 BC the Greeks start to quench iron to improve the cutting characteristics of their iron weapons. From 1000 to 500 BC the Hallstatt civilization, in central Europe (present Austria area), is leading the iron period. Around 600 BC, the Persia and the Etrusquia blacksmiths know how to fire weld iron. Starting around 600 BC the India blacksmiths use the carburization technique and repeated hammering sequences to improve the iron qualities.In China, about 1000 BC, knowledge of iron-working techniques reached the country from the West. Using their kiln pottery curing knowledge the Chinese smiths produce the cast iron

500 to 400BC Iron period The use of the iron spreads all over Europe with the spread of the Celt civilization.
400 to 300BC Iron period In China the decarburization technique is used to produce steel

300 to 200BC Iron period Birth of the Wootz in South India.

200 to 100 BC Iron period In Europe, birth of the steel. The techniques used to produce steel could be based on iron selection or on carburization. The fire welding technique is used to produce iron weapons with a steel cutting edge.

100 BC to 100 AD In China hydraulic systems are used to drive the bellows

100 to 200 Birth of the Pattern Welded Steel with twist and chevron patterns in sword blades.

200 to 300 Mixing wrought iron and cast iron in their furnaces the Chineses produce steelThe Wootz is extensively used in India.

300 to 400

400 to 500

500 to 600 The "Merovigiens" use the pattern-welded steels for both their esthetical and mechanical properties.

600 to 700 The "Merovingiens" and the "Carolingiens" use the pattern-welded steels.

700 to 800 Pattern-welded steels are extensively used in Europe.

800 to 900 The "Normands" (Vikings) use pattern-welded steels for their weapons.

900 to 1000 Unceasing usage of the pattern-welded steel in Europe.Kris are made in Indonesia;Wootz steel is also produced in Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan (Ph.D. from Ann Feuerbach)

1000 to 1100 The use of the Pattern-welded steels start to decline.1095 is the first crusade year.

1100 to 1200 In Europe the welded-pattern steel is disappearing. During the crusade period, the Islamic armies are using Wootz sword blades. It's devastating

Last edited by a moderator:
Dasmascus certainly predates the Mt. man and there may have been someone somewhere that had
one but they weren't common. I have several but don't carry them with my Mt. man outfit.
Deadeye

It's a shame that they were not that common in the Rocky Mountains...

They are some of the most beautiful edged weapons man has ever made, next to a finly knapped flint knife with antler handle that is...

I don't know of a period the damascus blade would actually fit in, but the beauty of damascus steel is quite remarkable to me. I have made quite a few knives in damascus steel & like working with it, tho it is not my favorite steel for knife making. I usually make my knives with D2 tool steel as it holds a better edge & is priced within reason.

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

We have some of the top knive makers in the world here where I live. 3 that are in our Mt. Man club make damascus, one makes it for many other makers. Hyrum Hunter makes the prettiest I've ever seen and can make it in whatever pattern you desire. I have one knife that he made that has
4 different patterns of damascus running from the tip all the way back thru the handle. He also sometimes make the hilt and end cap, if there is one, from a damascus of brass and copper, a red and gold stripe. It's amazing what some of these guys can do.
HOS

Pattern weld appears with the japanese and Arabs, then disapears during the rennasance. What we do today is not the same damascas that they did in ancient times, and when x-rayed what they did in ancient times wasn't that fantastic in spite of the mythology. Damascas is pretty, but it isn't PC. That don't mean I don't carry the best damascas blade that I have when no one is looking! ::

Back