• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dance replica revolver made by Uberti & Pietta

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprevolver

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I would like to buy replicas of the Confederate J.H. Dance Revolver in .36cal. These were made by Uberti in the mid 1980's. These were made in only two models. The first was a Commemorative set in walnut display case with all accessories including a leather covered flask. Each gun was issued with a Certificate of Authenticity. The revolver has a gold inlaid star on opposite sides of the Cylinder. These guns will have an AR prefix in the serial number. Without the accessories or certificate they have no collector value but I am interested in locating these as well.

After the production of the Commemorative, a "Shooter's" model was issued. These have no engraving or other markings except SMLS-Inc-Angleton-Texas on top of barrel and Uberti markings on left side of frame. Serial numbers start with 0001.

Both issues of these revolvers came in a Western Arms/Uberti box. I would like to purchase one of these.

Pietta made a .36cal Dance revolver in 1996. These were issued by the newly formed Dance Firearms Co. of Angleton, Texas. These may or may not have Dance Firearms Co. on the barrel. Pietta also made a .44cal. Dance revolver with a rebated cylinder which will bear only the Pietta markings. I am interested I purchasing these as well. I am not interested in the current Pietta’s with the straight cylinder and 8” barrel as these are available new an are not accurate replicas of the original Dance revolver in .44cal. They are produced on a 1851 Navy frame with the straight shortened cylinder and 8” barrel. The original .44cal. Dance revolver is closer to the Dragoon than the 1851 Navy.

:hmm: Anything made by Pietta that many years back I would look carefully as it may not be shootable due to extremely poor workmanship and finishing. Better off looking for a Uberti IMHO. :thumbsup:

The book CONFEDERATE HANDGUNS by William A. Albaugh,III, Hugh Benet Jr. and Edward N. Simmons says on page 158 that there were 3 different Dance Brothers revolvers.
The first variety was a ".44 caliber, six shot, single-action revolver with a round barrel slightly over 8 inches in length and part octagon at the frame, rifled with 7 grooves. The overall length of the weapon is 14 inches, weight 3 pounds, 6 ounces...All parts are iron except for the brass knife foresight which was dovetailed into the barrel and a brass oval trigger-guard.."

"The second variety is the same as the first except for a full octagon barrel. It will be noted that while Dance guns are usually referred to as "dragoons" they are actually .44 caliber revolvers built along Colt Navy lines and are not nearly as large as the true Colt dragoon pistol.

The third variety is .36 caliber and is extremely rare. In general, these follow the lines of number 1 except for a reduction in size of all parts. In general the barrels are 7 3/8 inches long...Another peculiarity of the .36 caliber, and a few of the .44 calibers is a claw-shaped butt such as is sometimes found on a Dimick revolver..."

My reason for giving all of this information is, first, I think many of you will enjoy learning a little about the Dance Brothers revolver which unlike the Colt or any of the other revolvers commonly made during the Civil War, had no recoil shield at all behind the cylinder. Both sides of the frame in that area are flat.

The second reason is that Dixie Gunworks lists the Pietta version in their 2008 catalog.

The Pietta version (they say) is "N/SSA approved" which would lead one to believe it is a fairly accurate representation of the original Dance.
The specifications they list say it is a .44 caliber pistol and, like a real Dance, the cylinder is not rebated.
Unlike the Dance described above the barrel is 7 3/8 long, it has a brass backstrap and perhaps most interesting it weighs 2 1/2 pounds which is almost 1 pound lighter than a real Dance .44.
These figures, coupled with the fact that this reproduction is only 13 inches long lead me to believe that the Pietta version is closer to a .36 cal Dance but bored to a .44 caliber.

For most of us those differences won't make much difference in the replicas desirability but for some perfectionists they may be a major issue.
Here is a link to the Dance revolver
DIXIE GUNWORKS DANCE BROTHERS

I've been somewhat interested in the Dance pistol that Dixie sells, I think it would be a great gun for Cowboy action shooting as with out the recoil shields there is less area for cap fragments to get jammed up. Not that I have that much trouble with colts....another excuse to buy a gun is what I need! :haha:
I saw a repro Dance at a gunshow a month or so ago. It seems it was about the size of a colt navy and .36 cal. I think the tag said it had been worked over and "sanitized of the Italian markings. It was a very attractive gun....probably should have bought it.

I'm not sure if folks know, but the Dance Brothers were among the very few producers of pistols for the Confederacy that built their guns in TEXAS.

Knowing there are many Texans on our site I thought this might interest them. :)

Back