• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daughter experiences Flintlock shooting (lots of pics)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardhunter

36 Cal.
Reaction score
.........been lurking here for while because of interest in flintlock shooting. My daughter is a member of the C.A.R ( Children of the American Revolution )a patriotic organization designed to expose our children to anything related to early American History, something our kids don't get much in school anymore.
Recently, I took her to a grave ceremony here in Ky. The S.A.R ( Sons of the American Revolution ) members reloading while performing a 3 volley salute with their Flintlocks:

( Wish the pics were larger, but can't figure out how to do that yet )

100_01452.jpg

Here She is ( blonde girl back right ) with others in attendance:

100_0161.jpg

The reason I even bring that up is....I talked her into attending a Flintlock shoot for a few hours recently. This shoot was researched & the contest rules were to be as shooters would have had it in the 1700's. They wore reenactment attire, used possible pouches, wooden only ramrods, & other necessary items for survival in Ky back in the day.

When we stepped on to the range, a very nice fellow (Allen was his name I believe) was preparing his equipment. I asked if he would show my daughter how the gun works & how you load it. He was very helpful in expaining how it works to her:

100_0038.jpg

Here's another where he explained how frizzens & others parts of the guns worked .....

100_0327.jpg

He was even going to allow her to shoot it & just as they were ready, the organizer was ready to set up targets so we had to pass....oh well, here she is at least holding that gun that was about the same height she was:

100_0331.jpg

They had contests where they were shooting charcoal briquettes, eggs, apples & other assorted targets used in the 1700's.

Here's group shot of those fellows in action....

100_0334.jpg

Notice the fort in the background? Part of the competition was designed to let the shooters shoot out of that fort at a "Gong" hanging on a wooden tripod at 200+ yards away. A hit was a scored point. I'm sure it was very easy to tell if it was hit of not.

Here's a pic of the fort with my daughter guarding the corner: LOL

100_0338.jpg

One more...I have lot's of pics for her enjoyment someday in the future. Here's a pic for her scrapbook.

100_029723.jpg

Who knows...maybe she will come & show it to me someday when I'm in the nursing home....LOL...

regardless, one of these days I'll pick up a flintlock. I believe after reading all the posts & threads on this website, I should make a good choice. You guys seem to have awesome knowledge of these type of firearms & all the answers.

I believe shooting one of those can get real addicting real fast!

Webmaster, if this is on the wrong forum, please move it, otherwise....
Thanks for looking.......see ya yardhunter

Welcome to the forum, looks like fun father daughter times, now and future.

steve

Impressive! Good for you, in getting your kid ready and her for being courageous enough to try.
May I make a suggestion, though, that gun she was going to shoot looks like a large caiber, recoil is one thing that will sour a newbie.

Congrats Yardhunter and thanks for comin out to the Tanner Station shoot. I was there and do remember you and your daughter. It's always fun to have new shooters and other interested folk drop by. I was just behind you and to your left when you took the pic of her holding up the rifle. I don't remember how long you stayed, but there were several female shooters in the competition. Hope to see ya'll there next year. Regards; Buzzard

Seems like your daughter and you had a wonderful time there and learned a vast portion of history along with it. Be careful, once you hear the whooosh bang of the flintlock a guy just might get hooked... Always nice seeing the younger generations being exposed to the past.

:thumbsup:

Buzzard.......

Although I can't remember who you were at the shoot ( please take no offense---it's just because I talked to so many of the participants )Sandy & I had a good time. We stayed till 1300 & had to go due to other commitments we had to honor. She has been around shotguns & other guns before, so they aren't anything new to her...however... she thought this flintlock shooting event was pretty cool, something that really surprised me!

You guys were all super nice & laid back frontiersmen. I look forward to someday when I can hopefully join you...........see ya yardhunter

Very cool! It's nice to see others passing on their knowledge and love of history to their children. Thanks for sharing.

Some of you may remember this post from November 2011. Mentioned I was interested in flintlocks & finally took the plunge just after Christmas 2013.

Been learning the ins & outs for 2 months now & after all kinds of crazy things like misfires, stuck balls, losing flints, losing powder measures, etc, etc”¦.going on”¦I've managed to figure out how to use this rascal with minimal difficulties. I bought 4 pounds of 3F BP 2 months ago & I'm almost out already. I thought that amount would last all year.

Nope”¦going to pick up some more next week. I can't run out”¦that 's almost un-American.

I must thank the guys at the Tanner Shoot for answering all the numerous questions I had that morning.

I just completed a fun little music video showing some BP shooting adventures with Sandy, the girl in the pictures above.

It's 3:50 long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T8c2nD1JV0

Hope you guys enjoy it”¦”¦”¦”¦.see ya yardhunter

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to see you teaching the kids :applause: But you have to teach them to lean into that gun :)

Oh, I agree. Those clips are about a month old. She's only shot the gun 4-5 times before the video was taken. I've been teaching her the leaning part. She's getting a lot better.

Whenever I put together another video”¦you'll see a big difference.
Thanks for your input”¦”¦”¦.see ya yard hunter

Dandy video of a great daddy and a sweet daughter who can shoot. Now if you can only help her find a boyfriend who is a shooter and interested in muzzleloading, or who can be introduced to muzzleloading, you won't loose a shooting and hunting partner, you will gain one more. What wonderful tines await you in the woods and at the range. God bless you both.

Back