• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Daughter's first deer hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hockeyref

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well today was the opening of CF season in PA. I took my 12 year old daughter out for her first deer hunt. She took her shotgun (at some point I'll be getting her a Deer Stalker) and I took "Patience" My GPR rock lock. We set up in a blow down and after about an hour she hears "something" down the trail that we walked in on. Wind was to our back - as in we were UP WIND and they were walking towards us on the trail we walked in on maybe an hour before! She got to spend about a half hour of quality time with two doe that were at one point less than 10 yards from her. Only problem is that we had no baldie tags and had to let them pass. Add the sighting of a hawk, a red fox, and a couple huge tree rats playing a few yards a way and it made for a memorable first time.

What did I learn? that my flint is close enough to my hammer stall on my frizzen that it will hold it open just enough for the prime to leak out. Gotta watch that for now and make needed mods to my set up later. Either shorten the flint or make a new stall with harder but thinner leather over the frizzen.

Now this brings back memories. My oldest daughter went on her first hunt when she was 14. Except for the last two years, we've hunted together ever since then. She's 25 now and married (damn boys!), and can't get back home very often since she is in grad school in Ga. (damn higher education!)

I wouldn't trade the memories of her and I hunting together for $100,000,000 x 100. Take alot of pictures of those hunting trips with your daughter, soon the boys will be calling and soon after that she will be all grown up. There is a special bond between a father and daughter. Bill

Hockeyref said:
"...my flint is close enough to my hammer stall on my frizzen that it will hold it open just enough for the prime to leak out..."
Assuming you're using the correct size flint...and you already have a hole cut out in the curve of the flint leather to let the flint slide all the way back against the jaw screw...an option that member 'TG' has posted about a number of times is to form a thin hammer stall out of a thin sheet of brass...

I too took my daughter out a few times when she was in her mid teens. She took a deer with my (now hers) 50 perc. GPR in her senior year. I think what was best of all was spending some time together. Not only did we have those simple little chit chats, but I learned more about her, than I did living with her. She learned more about me, then most kids really know about their Dads. It all started when she asked me one year, what I wanted for Christmas. The answer was for her to spend sometime deer hunting with me. Now, she tries to go every year with me. More so, just to be with me, than for the deer, I suspect anyhow. Anyrate, enjoy these times together, they go by so quickly. We get old and they get more foot loose, marry and move away. :( But, she married a good guy, who loves me to take him hunting as well. So it just keeps getting better. :wink:

Warms my heart. You guys don't realize how blessed you are. I have three sons that couldn't care less about guns, hunting, outdoors. Their mom and I split when they were young, and filled their heads full of city stuff.
Cherish these moments, because that's just what they are-moments.

Keep the faith Mike, You never know one day one of them or maybe a Grandchild will think what we do is the coolest thing in the world!!

:thumbsup: Every day is a great day in the woods especialy when shared with family.Probably all hell will break loose whe she gets her first deer. :) Griz

Back