• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Davis vs Chambers Locks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Rick,
You ask a very pertinent question and you deserve a good thorough answer.

Since 1979, I’ve built a lot of muzzleloading guns and used locks from all the major manufacturers as well as built my own. To date I’ve built 9 locks, mostly from cast parts, and completely reworked quite a few L&R, Davis, Pedersoli, Hamm, and India-made locks.

With respect to L&R products, I’ve worked on Durs Egg, Bailes, Queen Anne, Bedford, early Lancaster, Manton, and back action locks. I’ve never used an L&R or Davis lock, for that matter, that did not require adjusting the shape and strength the mainspring, frizzen spring, and making sure the rear of the tumbler hits the top of the bridal at exactly the same time as the shoulder on the flint cock hits the lock plate. That relieves stress on the tumbler, bridle, lockplate and flintcock.

I never felt compelled to work over a Chamber’s lock except for minor tuning. I also never had to replace any parts on Chambers locks except for a couple of instances in which I screwed up and lost a part or rehardened and tempered it improperly. Getting back to L&R, keep in mind that their castings are usually very good, just not finished or fitted nearly as well as a Chambers lock.

Indeed, the finest flintlocks sold today are made by Bob Roller who uses L&R external parts but replaces all of the internals. The best maker of swivel breech actions, Dave Price, also uses L&R parts that he reworks. To address the comparisons that you requested, if you have a Track of the Wolf catalog #18, turn to pages 148,149,and 150 or log on their website and look at Davis’ engraved fowling lock, Chambers’ English fowler lock, and L&R’s Queen Anne or Barber lock. Of those 3 locks, the Chambers’ is hands down the best. Note the elegant shape of the mainspring and how the lower leaf tapers in thickness. Note also, that the lower leaf is straight with the lock at full cock. That places the stresses in the right places and the end of the hook is located exactly right to give the lock a whippy feel such that the force to go from half to full cock lessens as the cock is drawn back.

On the Davis lock the lower leaf bends slightly upward at full cock, which is not ideal because the stress is concentrated at the bend in the lower leaf. On Davis locks, I usually anneal the mainspring, squeeze the bend tighter, and then add a slight downward arc to the lower leaf (called preload). I then harden and temper the spring. That usually improves the performance of the spring. If not, I make a forged replacement.

The spring pictured on the L&R lock is not what you get today. Now they have a smaller forged spring that has no taper, little shaping, and is totally dead with respect to the nice whippy feel created by a proper spring.

Look at the differences in the sear springs. Chambers’ lock has the historically correct long sear spring, which allows for a crisp and light trigger pull if desired.
The springs on the Davis and L&R locks are fairly stout and the short leaves and wider bend create a much stiffer trigger pull. Those springs can be adjusted but it takes a bit of work. In addition, the Chambers’ sear is longer than the others, which provides mechanical advantage when trying to achieve a nice light trigger pull.

Chambers’ lock uses 8-32 screws for the internals. The others use smaller 6-40 screws even though there is plenty of room for the bigger and stronger screws.

There are more points to made about lock geometry but I would have to write a short pamphlet to cover them. Let me just mention the lug on the bottom of the frizzens on L&R locks.
Some folks might think it seals the pan from water. Actually, it very nicely diverts water into your pan. A few years ago, while drinking whiskey with a bunch of us, a prominent gun maker who will remain nameless, described how the lug came to be.
During the late 1970’s and early 1980’s the supply of good locks was very limited and gun makers subjected locks to the “light test”. They would close the frizzen and hold the lock up to a lamp to see if they could see any light between the pan cover and the pan. If they saw light, the lock was rejected.

As anyone who has made a flintlock knows, the cover and pan fit is most difficult to achieve around the apex of the pan.
Putting a lug on the bottom of the frizzen that fits into the pan blocks the light through the center of the pan, making it easier for the lock to pass the “light” test.
I do not know if his story is true but I can certainly attest to the fact that the lug sure doesn't serve to seal the pan so why include it?

On the L&R “Barber” lock sitting on my desk as I type, the lug blocks the light in the pan but keeps the pan cover from touching the pan. Basically it serves as a dam, backing water right into the pan.

The TOW catalog calls the L&R lock a “James Barbar - London” style lock. I have examined a couple of James Barbar’s guns and am familiar with original “London-made” guns from the 18th century (I own one). Barbar would be outraged to have his name associated with that lock.

dave

All you have to do is compare the numbers on this an other forums. When you see a thread with someone having trouble with a lock an the lock needing repair/tune up/or sent back to factory for rehardening or holes out of round or whatever then 9 times out of 10 it will be an L&R an that should tell anyone all they need to know :hmm: :hmm:

Often, it is difficult to live down the mistakes of the past.

IMO, this is exactly what L&R is trying to do.

Back when I was building guns with regularity 15-20 years ago, I bought several L&R locks and they were very well made and work very nicely.
These included Durs Egg, Bedford, Bailes and Schuetzen styles.

Then, about 10 years ago for reasons unknown to me, they suddenly started selling the same locks that were poorly made.
I don't know if they sourced them out or not but whatever the cause, the builders who bought them had nothing but trouble with them.

From what I have recently gathered, L&R's lock quality has returned to the earlier years and they are once again making excellent locks.

Ole' Bill Shakespeare hit on it when he wrote,
" The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." so let it be with L&R. :grin:

Actually, they make many styles of locks so maybe it's time to inter those bad years and go with what they produce today?

You may have a point there Jim. I dont own one so I am not judging by NOTHING but what I have read on this an other forums an it is for certain an for 100% sure enough to keep me from chancing putting one in an expensive build only to have the lock not perform as it should. But as you say that may be a thing of the past an I hope it is. Only time will tell :hmm:

Hi Jim,
You may be correct but my Queen Anne lock is the latest production and it needs a complete work over to be acceptable. Moreover, the crude forged springs are current production. I have to respectfully disagree that L&R is currently producing quality locks. Even the Durs Egg, one of their best locks, has declined in quality because of the crude and cheaply made springs.

dave

Great discussion Guys this was what I wanted to see a lot of different views and a lot of facts. Thanks for all the responses :hatsoff: Now let's see.... :hmm:

I have an L&R Dickert lock that I bought about 7 years ago. It seems well made, and I haven't experienced any of the issues with its construction such as poorly aligned holes. However, for the life of me I can't get more than 10-20 shots out of one flint, and that's using Tom Fuller English flints. I seem to get better flint life out of the coil spring lock on my Lyman Trade Rifle. Not sure why and I haven't spend a lot of time fussing with it, but I did e-mail L&R and they were very willing to take a look at it if I send it back to them.

The other thing I don't particularly care for with the L&R Dickert lock is that there is very little travel between the half cock and full cock position, so it can be hard to tell at a glance what position it is in. I don't have any experience with Chambers or Davis locks for comparison.

Hi,
Yours are common complaints about L&R locks. The Durs Egg is particularly known as a flint smasher. The easiest thing to try, if you haven't already, is to experiment with the flint bevel up or bevel down to see which works best. Flint smashing occurs if the flint hits the frizzen straight on rather than at a slight downward angle. A shorter flint can help there. Also, the frizzen spring may be too strong. A good flintlock does not need any frizzen spring to make abundant sparks. That spring is really to keep the frizzen firmly closed to protect the priming and provide enough resistence to keep the frizzen from bouncing back and hitting your flint. Frizzen's that bounce back can dull flints too and indicates a frizzen spring that is too weak, however, with an L&R lock, my suspicion is the resistance to the frizzen is too much and needs to be balanced with the mainspring.

dave

Dave has covered the bases here .but if you cover the top of the flint with your leather that will keep the flint damage to a minimum.I think all locks have a certain amount of frizzen bounce ,some more than others. L/R lock Co was sold quite a few years ago and the difference in
Quality might have changed at that point.I hate to ridicule a company but why put out your best work on the second time around (.repairs) when you could have done it right the first time.

It takes good lemons to make lemonade.When you start off with a warped lock plate its all goin to be a struggle from there.

Back