• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dbl triggers & hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newtewsmoke

45 Cal.
Reaction score
so what is the best way to set the "set" trigger while hunting,(whitetails) and not let them hear the CLICK?
Front trigger pulled alone too hard to pull.

Click isn't very loud.
But, on many rifles you can 'sett' long before spotting the deer or drawing to full cock. BTW, how about them clicks while cocking?
Never been a problem for me. :hmm:

You can silently set the trigger (with pratice) while cocking the hammer silently. Thumb on the hammer, forefinger on front trigger, and middle finger on rear trigger. Pull the front trigger while cocking the hammer, keeping front trigger back while setting the rear trigger with middle finger and hoding back hammer. At this point, thumb and both fingers will be pulling back. Release tension on front trigger first, then slowly release thumb tension to make sure hammer is secured in fullcock. Release middle finger tension and rear trigger should remain in the set position. With enough practice, all this can be done in one fliud movement (if I explained it right :idunno: ). Bill

newtewsmoke said:
so what is the best way to set the "set" trigger while hunting,(whitetails) and not let them hear the CLICK?
I used to wonder about setting the trigger click but under actual woods hunting conditions I learned that deer 25-35yds away have only had 2 reactions when I've set the trigger:

1) They hear it and simply stop walking to listen, trying to figure out what that was, making for a perfect shot standing still;

2) Or they don't hear it at all and keep walking, in which case I whistle to stop them for the shot;

"1) They hear it and simply stop walking to listen, trying to figure out what that was, making for a perfect shot standing still;"

"2) Or they don't hear it at all and keep walking, in which case I whistle to stop them for the shot;"

This has been my experience as well.
Robby

Rifleman1776 said:
on many rifles you can 'sett' long before spotting the deer or drawing to full cock.
Yep, just checked sons' GPR & you can engage set trigger @ 1/2 cock. Didn't know that, Thanks, that helps a bunch!!
Scott

newtewsmoke said:
Rifleman1776 said:
on many rifles you can 'sett' long before spotting the deer or drawing to full cock.
Yep, just checked sons' GPR & you can engage set trigger @ 1/2 cock. Didn't know that, Thanks, that helps a bunch!!
Scott

This would not be a general rule. There are several types of sett triggers and several more set ups for them. Single trigger/single sett, double single..... So many I usually bite my tongue trying to recite them all. :shocked2:
Most in use today, however, will allow setting at half cock.

If a deer is close enough to me that I`m worried it might hear the sound of my trigger being set, it`s close enough that I`m not going to need the extra smidgeon of accuracy I`m going to get by setting it. I don`t really like set triggers on hunting rifles anyway but that`s another topic.

Rifleman1776 said:
BTW, how about them clicks while cocking?
If you figure out which style of set trigger you have and how it works, it's usually possible to cock the gun silently. I have two rifles from the 1970s era and both have set triggers of the "single phase" type. That means you must set the trigger before the gun can be fired. On both it is the rear or set trigger which has the bar to make contact with the sear bar and release the sear, firing the gun. The front, firing trigger has no bar. It's simple to cock both guns silently. I just push the rear trigger forward, instead of backward. That rotates its bar upward to contact the sear bar and depress it. I push it forward, hold it there and rotate the hammer to full cock, then release the set trigger, which releases the sear. The gun is now cocked, but the trigger still has to be set in the normal way. The sound of setting the triggers is much softer than that of cocking the hammer.

It's a good trick to know, but I don't usually bother, I have never seen the sound of cocking or setting spook a deer.

I assume everyone knows that the set trigger is a separate mechanism, can be set and fired whether the gun is cocked, or not, can be set and fired outside the gun?

Spence

newtewsmoke said:

I had the same problem with my tc hawken. I looked at some pics on here to show me how to disassemble the lock, then the work began. I polished all the internals, including the lock plate where the parts sit. This made a small improvement on my trigger. I wanted to see if I could get it even better, so the quest began for a replacement spring for the sear. I located an ink pin spring of sufficent build, I used it to replace the sear spring and it made a huge difference in my front trigger pull. I no longer use the set trigger unless I am shooting out to 100 yards.

My rifles all have single triggers but I once had a TC Hawken that had the double. I think there is a screw that can adjust the set trigger and just maybe it would be able to adjust to 2 lbs. on the firing trigger and this way you could set the set trigger after loading and you would have a 2 lb. front trigger. This may work quite well.

I know I would pre-set my trigger and it was safe to carry that way. Hit the butt on the ground a few times with it pre-set and see if it fires (unloaded of course). I never liked the trigger guards on double trigger guns or I would probably like the double triggers better than a single.

ohiosam said:
If it's close enough to hear the click do you need to set the trigger?
IMO, "need" can be subjective.

Years ago I tried using the front trigger on a buck after a couple thousand shots year round at the range...I gently applied finger tip pressure, and I gently applied more finger tip pressure, and more finger tip pressure...finally it dawned on me all I was doing was slowly taking up the slack in the front trigger...buck almost walked away.

So I always use the set trigger because I want every shot the same...don't want to even try and remember which trigger operation I'm using for a particular situation...and the good news is it just becomes second nature after range shooting all year.
Even when dove hunting I use the set trigger so my operation is still always the same...but I do relax the adjustment screw a bit so the set trigger wasn't quite as sensitive during fast action.

the screw on the tc double triggers is used to adjust the travel of the front trigger before it releases the captive arm of the set trigger. The set trigger bar is held down under spring tension by a small detent in the front trigger arm base. when you pull the front trigger with the rear trigger set, it releases the rear trigger arm. The rear trigger arm being under spring tension then pops up and contacts the sear, which trips and allows the gun to fire.

I'm with Sgt S., if I'm worried about the deer hearin' the click, I woke up in my stand too late :rotf: . Seriously tho, generally I'm not a big advocate for set triggers 'cept for target shooting...Bud

Back