• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dbl triggers & hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nifeman said:
generally I'm not a big advocate for set triggers 'cept for target shooting...Bud
agree w/ya! problem is most production outta the box ML'ers are mainly standerd w/ 2 triggers. My trade rifle is a single, one of the few and scarce.
Scott

I am not worried about a deer hearing the click. I was more concerned with not being able to feel the trigger. I prefer to be able to slowly but steadly add pressure to the trigger until it "breaks", I was not able to do this with my front trigger.

Another thing I was wondering about was how do you get the hammer back to full cock without making noise with a set trigger set-up? With my single trigger guns I can squeeze the trigger and ease the hammer back without a sound.

My RMC flinter had an outstanding trigger from the day it was bought but the TC needed to have a lighter weight spring exchanged with the one that pushes down on the sear arm (Single trigger PA Hunter stocks).

Deer can hear those little noises and it can cause failed opportunities. I had a deer bolt once when my aluminum arrow made a ting when it bumped my recurve.

roundball said:
ohiosam said:
If it's close enough to hear the click do you need to set the trigger?
IMO, "need" can be subjective.

Years ago I tried using the front trigger on a buck after a couple thousand shots year round at the range...I gently applied finger tip pressure, and I gently applied more finger tip pressure, and more finger tip pressure...finally it dawned on me all I was doing was slowly taking up the slack in the front trigger...buck almost walked away.

So I always use the set trigger because I want every shot the same...don't want to even try and remember which trigger operation I'm using for a particular situation...and the good news is it just becomes second nature after range shooting all year.
Even when dove hunting I use the set trigger so my operation is still always the same...but I do relax the adjustment screw a bit so the set trigger wasn't quite as sensitive during fast action.

I'm the opposite, I never use the set trigger on my deer hunting rifles. The regular triggers are fine for the accuracy need for deer. My squirrel rifle is another story, I always use the set triggers.

ohiosam said:
If it's close enough to hear the click do you need to set the trigger?
ohiosam said:
I'm the opposite, I never use the set trigger on my deer hunting rifles. The regular triggers are fine for the accuracy need for deer.

Then I'm confused as to why you bothered making a post with such a question...
:hmm:

All I'm saying is he doesn't need to bother with set triggers on a target as big as a deer especially if it close enough to that he's worried it will be arlarmed by the noise.

Back