• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dead Eye

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got out for the last weekend of deer hunting in Illinois. Took 2 of my sons with me this afternoon. We moved some deer (about 10) from the little bit of timber we hunt in without trying. But they came back later believe it or not. I had one less than 20 yards away and shot, but I hit a sapling (discovered later) and my shot didn't go true. My older son also had some problems. Apparently he pulled the back set trigger on his TC Renegade at first by mistake and when he pulled the front trigger it went off before he was ready with the shot going a bit high.
But guess what? Those deer were bound and determined to come through, which they did during the last 15 minutes of shooting light. My older son shot a deer at about 40 yards and it went right down. We approached thinking it was dead, but it was still breathing. I dispatched it slitting the throat. Since it was getting dark we went right into field dressing. I noticed that the boiler room was not messed up by any shot. Thinking originally that it was a doe, once we got to the genitals we discovered it was a buck that shed it's antlers fairly early. It wasn't until we got home that my son said it was a head on shot. My wife saw that an eye was shot out and I found the exit wound out of the neck. This was his first deer.

Grats to your boy on his first deer. :thumbsup:
Some of the bucks around here are already dropping antlers too. I've heard from several guys at work that they've seen bucks with one side dropped and I saw one last night on my way home too. Kinda early for here. They generally carry them into late Feb/early March here. :idunno:

Back