• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DEEP CLEANING

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
NOPE, not of a gun barrel, but of my basement.

FOUND all sorts of treasures so far.
I found 15 English flints of various sizes from King's Musket (that's a Brown Bess for all you Wascally Webels).., to trade gun, to rifle size....probably been on that shelf for 20 years. Worth about $45 today
I found my Mohawk vocabulary book
A repro French Briquet saber without scabbard, that will be fine for somebody someday doing Pirate at a Ren Fair Weekend
I found two packs of .690 ball for my King's Musket (That's a Brown... never mind already wrote about that)
I found a bag of fresh Hobnails, for my soldier's shoes ('cause plain leather soles SUCK even on grass that only has dew)
I found a pair of rubber outer shoe covers, BECAUSE hobnailed soldier's shoes do not help when at the grocery story on polished linoleum making a "ration run" while at an event... you get better traction taking the shoes off and walking around in sweaty wool stockings... A lot better....
I found a box of 1095 carbon steel blade blanks that will soon be English trade knives
And a few other things, but they are too modern for this forum...
Some unopened boiled linseed oil cans

A PITA to do but there are some rewards. :p

LD

Ya I've had sessions like that in my basement, shop, and rarely used bedroom that doubles as mini-storage area. Thoughts like "I wonder what happened to those/that" and/or "Forgot I bought those/that"!

When I'm feeling down I find that doing some "deep cleaning" and discarding of junk I have no idea of why it's still there helps to improve my mood.

I suggest 1-800-gotjunk as the ultimate "deep-clean". I've used their service once and was very satisfied with their performance.

We had to go through cleaning our garage lately and I found all kinds of buried treasure. But my wife and stepson thought it was “junk”, lol.

YES which is why when the wife says "Hey want some help?", I must reply "NO but thank you". Anything that she doesn't know has value she wants to toss, OR she stops and says "Want to keep this?" Now that slows me down because it's usually something tough to find (that's why she doesn't know what it is) and when I say yes, THEN she says "WHY?" and I have to stop and explain, which wastes more time, plus I get an eye roll, and then I'm informed "I thought you wanted to clean this junk out?" So she isn't allowed to help.

THIS is how my wife would like to clean up my stuff

GIRL FLAME THOWER MY STUFF.jpg

So this morning I found:
porcupine quills for embellishing leather like mocs or knife sheaths
A full spool of artificial sinew for sewing bags and other leather projects
A full spool of "handi-stitcher waxed thread"
8 Packets of cloth dye, mostly various blue and green colors
A packet of various pewter and bone buttons
And YES a full contractor bag of junk that is going to be tossed tomorrow. I'm up to three bags so far.........

LD

NOPE, not of a gun barrel, but of my basement.

FOUND all sorts of treasures so far.
I found 15 English flints of various sizes from King's Musket (that's a Brown Bess for all you Wascally Webels).., to trade gun, to rifle size....probably been on that shelf for 20 years. Worth about $45 today
I found my Mohawk vocabulary book
A repro French Briquet saber without scabbard, that will be fine for somebody someday doing Pirate at a Ren Fair Weekend
I found two packs of .690 ball for my King's Musket (That's a Brown... never mind already wrote about that)
I found a bag of fresh Hobnails, for my soldier's shoes ('cause plain leather soles SUCK even on grass that only has dew)
I found a pair of rubber outer shoe covers, BECAUSE hobnailed soldier's shoes do not help when at the grocery story on polished linoleum making a "ration run" while at an event... you get better traction taking the shoes off and walking around in sweaty wool stockings... A lot better....
I found a box of 1095 carbon steel blade blanks that will soon be English trade knives
And a few other things, but they are too modern for this forum...
Some unopened boiled linseed oil cans

A PITA to do but there are some rewards. :p

LD

NO old bottle of whisky stuck in the corner

LOL I've been spending the past 6 months combining once sought after treasurer to sell off.
Not including a few of the past 4 years of consignment items.
Yesterday brought 2 ML'ers. Wool Capote,Frock,powder,and a tote of assorted do-dads.
The fella who dropped them off said , I'm selling my house and going to van life to travel around!

What's been irritating for me when I've done cleanups like this is finding something I'd forgotten I had so I bought another one and ended up with two.
TWO?

Since I've been cleaning I have found that I own five channel lock pliers all the same size, and three pipe wrenches all the same size, and three claw hammers... you get the picture

LD

Back