• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deep vs shallow rifling?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Herb said:
That's a really good photo of a bore. What equipment did you use? And what does the bore look like now?

That photo is the as-received condition. Afterward I lapped it using scotch bright on a dowel rod for the compressible springiness it has, with the lapping surface being denim with valve grinding compound on it. That way the narrow lands surfaces were preferentially reduced to deal with the reamer scars that go perpendicular to the axis of the bore but the grooves were polished also. It is not completely worked at this time because I want to "shoot it in". And, the lands towards the muzzle are worked the least so they will not be big to start with. Once I get this out-of-state day and night overtime job loaded up on an Antonov I'm gonna go get back with the .58. If you would like I will post another photo when I get to be home.

Thanks. What camera and technique did you use to take that close, detailed photo?

Oops, sorry for the lack of understanding on my part. It's a Canon PowerShot (several years old) that I use on the job. It does pretty good stills and video good enough to get by. The muzzle picture was taken on auto/macro with the built in flash. Ended up getting the Canon because it takes AA batteries instead of some proprietary power pack.

Back