• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer baiting in wisconsin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadball

40 Cal.
Reaction score
What do any cheeseheads on the forum think of the law allowing deer baiting? I am taken back to the year that they banned it due to CWD scare. I saw more deer that year than since. Then the following year they allowed deer baiting. What happens , and I have seen it, is these guys fill public lands with corn piles. They then change the habits of the deer and because they do not practice good scent control, they train the deer to go nocturnal. I have seen pickups full of corn on the Friday before opener. My brother in law, who is a bow hunter, says that the Brule River State Forest gets loaded with bait piles. Huge ones. I am thinking of writing to the State Legislatures to ban it again, if only to prevent the spread of disease

I live up near the brule state forest. I'm all for baiting. If your brother is seeing large bait piles, he should contact the DRN wardens and show them the piles. I believe that anything over 5 gallons is illegal.

My feeling is that the DNR wants the deer killed and makes it harder by not allowing bait. In my experience up north, deer haven't been coming to apples and the bluejays and red squirrels clean up the corn before any deer get a chance to.

Where I hunt, I don't come across large piles of bait. Actually, I don't remember ever coming across anyone's bait piles. If I bait, I always follow the laws. When I lived in central WI, baiting worked well. It doesn't work so well up north anyways so I really don't do it much anymore.

With all the public land in that area, maybe you guys just need to get away from all the other people.

I think that the DNR just needs to stop giving out all those doe tags and lengthen the firearm season to like 30 days. Make tags one deer of either sex and let people decide what they want to take. I really don't see a ton a deer like I used to 15 years ago but I can buy all the tags I want.

Sorry for the rant. If there were more deer, I don;t think that anyone would have to worry about bait as you would see all the deer you want. I want to be able to go and see 50 deer like did when i started hunting. Now I'm lucky if I see a deer a day.

Good luck hunting!

I believe that anything over 5 gallons is illegal.

In NY an apple or an ear of corn will get you in hot water with the DEC if they choose to prosecute. Makes hunting cornfields and orchards something of a honor system trust. Did the farmer leave the last two rows standing for the deer . . . or the hunters?

Still, I know of and see lots of "imported browse" going on. The local Gander Mountain sells deer food and "nutrients"; like salt blocks. I'm sure the people who buy it spread it out randomly over large areas so the deer won't flock to a specific spot. :shake:

I think that the DNR just needs to stop giving out all those doe tags and lengthen the firearm season to like 30 days. Make tags one deer of either sex and let people decide what they want to take. I really don't see a ton a deer like I used to 15 years ago but I can buy all the tags I want.

I want to be able to go and see 50 deer like did when i started hunting. Now I'm lucky if I see a deer a day./quote]

I've felt this way in PA and we can't bait...What good are multiple licenses when you hunt 7 = 8 days and not see any deer... :m2c:

I hunt northern Wisconsin and see 30 does a day while bowhunting. I am lucky if I see one buck and if I do, it's a small one. Rather than stop giving out doe tags, I am starting to like the idea of 1 or 2 years of doe only tags. This would also increase the size of the bucks.

In Illinois, other than food plots or crops , baiting is illegal. Any baiting must be removed 10 days before hunting. Scent bait doesn't count.

Here in Ky. they encourage it. Anything you want to put out. Just don't get caught taking a turkey over it. Deer only!

The local Gander Mountain sells deer food and "nutrients"; like salt blocks.

While in the Cabela's store recently, they were selling salt blocks that were shaped and colored like rocks, about the size of a football. I think they were made specifically to fool your local game warden, as the deer don't care what it looks like. :nono:

Latest posts

Back