• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer creek blues

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breech

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought one of them deer creak underhammer kits off the gunbroker site.Took my time buildin it.Browned it real nice and got my first chance to shoot it today.First the acurracy was so horrible that we got to lookin down the barrel with a light thinkin it wasnt rifled right and it lookes like the hole isnt even bored staight down the barrel.Is this possible,as ifn that wasnt enough despite the repeated failures to fire,on my last shot the sear broke in half and fell out the bottom.So help me it was everything I could do not to just throw that thing straight in the garbage cause that is where it belongs.Warning deer creek sucks. :no:

I think you need to call Deer Creek & tell them the barrel is not bored straight & ask them if they will replace it. Yes, you are out some time & effort but all is not lost yet. Give them a call.

:imo:

Yea I will do that but I am not expecting much from them.I didnt write this post just out of anger over one gun.Last year my best friend bought one of them 32 cal mule ear kits from them.I dont know if they even still make em but he is a locksmith and engraver by trade.Hes in a buckskinners club and been builden rifles for years.He engraved the hammer and carved squirrels in the stock,really made the gun butiful.When we took it out to shoot it well when it did shoot which was only after the hammer dropped 3 times or more it wouldnt shoot straight either.After puttin up a post on this site I was told to grind on the nipple to make it flat.It just made it worse.We then to it to our local gun smitty and as soon as he heard deer creek he told us as soon as this company started makin guns people has been comin in with all kinds of problems,some he could help,some not.It turned out the hammer spring was weak and the hammer(ear)was so crapily cast that the inside of the hamer wasnt filled in therefore no proper cap strike.He sent it back to them but since he engraved it they wouldnt replace it.He bought another lock.This time it went off 50% of the time on the first hit and 50% on the second.Back to the smitty cause he wanted the gun to shoot.He discarded everything but the lock plate.It cost him plenty for it and even after all of that the gun cant be sighted in cause it never hits the same place twice.O.K. I shouldve known better right.Well I own a petersoli underhammer pistol that has never failed me and I owned a hopkins and allen 36 cal rifle years ago and can say the same for it.Whith only a couple of moving parts I figured they couldnt screw it up right.Come on,the sear broke in half and fell out the bottom after only getting mabey 20 shots out of it and half of them were misfires tellin me again the trigger gaurd/sping is again of too poor a quality to fire the gun.Well I am soory cause we need more american made muzzle loaders for sure but dog gonit if they cant put out nothin but junk they need to get out of the busines.They have had plenty of time to get any production problems taken care of and I am convinced they are content to sell trash.

Yes, there apparently are some problems. But, first pursue these problems with the manufacture. It is hard for anyone to offer friendly help, if they have already been publicly injured. Give them a chance. Maybe even sending them the gun to show them the problems is in order. Then, if it can't be resolved, maybe some public discussion is warranted. :imo:

I called deer creek today and I was told they have no impressed or expessed warranty on there kit guns but I could send it ti them and they would take a look at it.Why throw more good money away,I dont want it back,I can throw it in my trash for free.

High Gain,

A few questions:

What barrel did you order or did they send? Some barrels are made in a manner which is slightly off center and most builders allow for this when constructing a gun. Few older guns were anywhere near centered. Putting this "Run out" up or down is the old debate. You should check for this when you get the barrel and mark the side to be the bottom.

As to the lock, I would disassemble the gun and just send that part back to them with a letter outlining my concerns.

What cal is the gun?

CS

How do you get in touch with Deer Creek? Do they have a website or a catalog? I've bought some of their parts, but always through a distributor, never direct. Quality issues aside, they offer some unique products, such as the H&A underhammers and the Mowrey rifles.

Jimbo

I got the phone# from the parts list that came with the gun.At the bottom it says if all the parts arent there to call this number.I traded the gun off at the gun and knife show over the weekend and it went with it.Im sure somebody has it though.

The caliber is 36.It wasnt that it was off center it corkscrewed down the barrel.By shining a flashlight down the barrel it was easy to see the bore was curved.I have since gotten rid of the gun.I like most of you had high hopes for there products as hey do have some unique items.Just whish they would take the manufacture of there stough as serious as the people who want what they pay for and expect.Personaly I am done with them unless serious changes are made.

The caliber is 36.It wasnt that it was off center it corkscrewed down the barrel.By shining a flashlight down the barrel it was easy to see the bore was curved.I have since gotten rid of the gun.I like most of you had high hopes for there products as hey do have some unique items.Just whish they would take the manufacture of there stough as serious as the people who want what they pay for and expect.Personaly I am done with them unless serious changes are made.

Congratulations! You just gave them the best of the worst of the best advertising there is! Now a whole bunch of folks know how crappy they really are!

Word of mouth advertizing....best thing going!

Thanks fer spreading the news!

This thread is making me really nervous. I am in the process of spending a ton of money to have a custom underhammer built (see Jimbo's Underhammer).

I have already purchased a cast-iron action from Blue Grouse (whose supplier is Deer Creek). The cost of $125 is minimal compared to the rest of the rifle. I'd really hate to spend all that time, effort, and money only to find out that the action is the weak point.

The barrel has already been ordered with the breech 1.200 octagon to match up seamlessly with the action. It won't be ready until September, so I have some time to rethink this.

Does anyone know of an alternative supplier of underhammer actions? Numrich (E-gunparts) lists them of out-of-stock.

I think that when the barrel arrives, we ought to install the breech plug and nipple,and maybe bust about 50 caps as a reliability test.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jimbo

How do you get in touch with Deer Creek? Do they have a website or a catalog?
Jimbo

Jimbo,

I have a '03 catalog here:

Deer Creek Products
P.O. Box 246
Waldron, IN 46182
phone 765-525-6181
fax 765-525-9595

Hope this helps.

This company makes me, and a lot of others I know, very nervous. Googling for "Deer Creek Products" brings up a litany of customer complaint results. They seem to be all from the same company. Call me an information ager, but if a company functioning today does not have a website that easy to find (or exist at all), that's also suspect. I hear of problems w/ Deer Creek every time they come up. DGW also has some kit reviews that aren't glowing.

I'd sure like to hear what finally happened. My personal experience was I got my kit and it looks great. I haven't taken it to the range yet as its not finished. I'm waiting for chemicals for the barrel treatment from Track the Wolf.

Fit and finish on the kit was great. You can see my post with photos in this forum UNDERHAMMER KIT .

So far some have had good experience with the product. I ordered a catalog from them and its been a week so far with no arrival yet.

I ordered my kit through Blue Grouse Black Powder. He gets them from Deer Creek. Bruce at Blue Grouse has been great to deal with.

A lot of those complaints are about a mail order company out of Florida named Deer Creek. There are lots of complaints about the one that makes the guns also, but most of the ones you find in a search are not about them.

I noticed that different address. Thanks for the info, I thought it may have been a corporate headquarters address or something, I couldn't load a lot of those files (big pdf's).

Deer Creek in indiana is a small shop run by just two or three people. They aren't a large company so thay don't have a website. Thats why you wont find them on a search. The Deer Creek in Florida is the one that has a bunch of lawsuits agains them and they dont sell guns. I think thay sell toasters and coat hangers.

It looks like the company in florida has gone bankrupt. A search for their website turned up nothing but I know thay used to have one because Ive seen it before. But I did find this:

http://www.complaints.com/january2003/complaintoftheday.january4.7.htm

Ive seen a lot of complaints about them taking peoples money and not delivering the products they ordered. They werent related to the Deer Creek in Indiana, just happened to have the same name.

I am really happy with my action and stock from Blue Grouse.Bruce is really good to deal with.I have 3 different barrels that I switch on it right now.I didnt order a barrel from Blue Grouse, just the stock and action.It is a good strong action with a strong trigger spring.Mine is the under-hammer and I have a Hoyt 45 cal. barrel, a knight 12 gu.inline barrel that Bruce got me a custom breechplug to convert it for my under-hammer ,and I have a Bill Large .54 cal. barrel that goes on this action.I dont have sights on the Large barrel yet.This is like a thompson contender to change barrels on.I love it!!! :)
J.J.

Back