• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer for Ron Lilly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wvbuckbuster

45 Cal.
Reaction score
2 yrs. ago my friend Ron Lilly passed away. A man whose passion was deer hunting and muzzle loaders. This summer I bought his deer rifle. A .50 cal.Getz bbl large Siler lock Walter Cain singe set trigger iron mounted in curly maple. The load was 80grs. 3F Goex .490 cast rb drill cloth patch with Birddog 6's lube. Shot this doe during WV's early antlerless season last week. Ron had named this gun Holly. The deer fell within 10ft. of the holly tree in the picture. Was that cool or what? It was a very special hunt for me. Dan.

Kansas Jake took the words right outta my mouth. I really did get some goose flesh reading this.

That's what it's all about right there! :thumbsup:

That's a beautiful rifle gun for sure. Would love to see more pictures of it if not too much trouble. Full stock percussion guns always get me.

Great post. Congratulations!

Best regards, Skychief

I'm sure Ron, would be so proud. A friend on mine told me, just a couple of days ago, he said, "I don't mind the thoughts of dying, but I have no one to leave my guns to, and that bothers me the most." His name is also, Ron.

Friends, memories, hunting.....beautiful rifles and being out in the mountains, that's cool.

Thanks's for sharing.

Thanks for sharing a special hunt and congrats on a fine animal. :hatsoff:

Hadden, I can understand your dilemma. I have 6 young (12 and younger) grandsons and so far none have shown a real interest in my front stuffers. To me it would be a shame to have them just sit in a closet or gun safe or worse yet just be sold. I hope some of them develop an interest, but so far it hasn't happened. Several shoot some, but none are as nuts about shooting as I was at the older ones ages. I did have the advantage of growing up on a farm, but my dad wasn't much of a hunter. He did a little, but only owned an old bolt 12 gauge.

What a wonderful story and tribute. Sometimes the
hunting gods smile on us all!

Ron was a marine Vietnam vet, a law enforcement officer, my friend and mentor, and one of the very best deer hunters I've ever known. I miss him--and how gratified I am to know that you, Dan, are still hunting with his rifle! You, too, are one of West Virginia's finest. God bless you, and thanks for sharing your hunt and Ron's memory with us all!

Back