• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer gods must hate me

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, today I went out an froze my ass off. It was mid 20s when I went out to stake out my trail. This trail is baited with wildlife mix, mineral blocks and even old apples I get from a store nearby. Nothing!

So, I start still hunting about 8 am. I see squirrels everywhere - and lo and behold I jump a doe and fawn - they run up to the top of a hill and stop. Although firing offhand and uphill a bit, I estimated it at 50 yds (I train dogs on this area all the time) and put the front sight on the front shoulder square in the notch of the rear sight.

I pull the trigger the cock drops and I get the dreaded - fsssst, boom! Deer runs off, in a half circle around me, crosses the creek and I see it across the field going into a meadow. Thinking that must be a different deer I reload and walk the top of the hill (49 paces -less than 50 yds) no blood, no hair nothing - I tracked it about 75 yds - no blood - I follow another 50 yds and lose the trail in the meadow.

My follow through is usually great - I still manage to hit the target somewhere even with bad hang fires. I am thinking there is no way that doe got away unscathed. 50 yds is nothing! But, I will be damned if I could find any sign of a hit.

So, I think well, maybe the sight got banged around and knocked off. So, after backtrailing myself and making a deligent effort and search to satisfy myself I had missed. I went out after feeding my horses and dogs and got a target and put it up at the spot the doe was standing - walked back to where I shot offhand and fired 3 shots - The 10 ring was torn to pieces - dead center 1/4 to 3/4" high. Course I didn't have a hang fire on any of the shots either. But, based on where I was aiming at her - unless I really jerked - the ball should have hit her somewhere!

Convinced the deer gods are angry with me and want me to live without deer meat for a year. :shake:

Dan'l

You may have shot right over her. or hit that spot above the shoulder under the spine. Sometimes it's hard to find hair and usually very little to no blood. Either way, she'll live if either is the case.

The deer gods are against me this year as well...
Must be why they call it "huntng" and not "getting"... :hmm:

I think the deer gods hated both of us Saturday. Still damp air, last light, 3 does @ 30 yards, sights on her shoulder, phssst.... bang no deer. I knew I should have picked up my cap lock. Damn.

buttonbuck said:
sometimes they test our faith.

Well, the dying embers of my "faith" need to be re kindled by some success soon before the fire goes cold...

bill57 said:
I think the deer gods hated both of us Saturday. Still damp air, last light, 3 does @ 30 yards, sights on her shoulder, phssst.... bang no deer. I knew I should have picked up my cap lock. Damn.

I hate to see people blame the gun for something thats probably their fault that caused the gun to do that.

Also I layed here since Saturday morning without pain pills because of a foul up from Blue Cross, not looking for sympathy but thats pretty much been my extent of my hunting season. Laying here in b ed and not hunting, so at least you guys got out and saw deer.

Who says I saw deer...? :hmm:
We know you been layed up Swampy and missed the season. Hope the meds show up for ya...

For every hour I see nothing, I always feel that I am now that much closer. At least, if I am hunting smart. I don't have to tell you that being where there has not been deer is a good place to be, because it just isn't the place to be. I play all the games and I am certainly no expert at it. I play the wind when it comes to which stand I am going to take and how to even get to that stand. I shower before hunting with unscented soap and my hunting clothes have been washed in baking soda and left outside. I wash my hat and neck gater most often as it is where (depending where you read) 75% of your body heat is lost, so therefore is your scent. I have taken a stand from a good vantage point just so I can observe the deer travels and then set up based on what I have observed. I make notes on crop rotation that affects where they feed. But one thing I do is make sure my eguip. will not let me down. I had problems with my lock all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago. After much studying I was certain I knew what the problem was and I called the manufacture that it needed attention. They really stepped up to the plate and within a week the the lock was sent and returned. Stay after it, it will happen if you are out there to make it happen. :wink:

It happens to us all at times, ten years or so ago I was within 30yds of four nice 4pt. or better (Western count) by noon one day and for a numerous set of reasons/circumstances I could not make the connection with any of them, a nice doe was taken the next day but those bucks, one only 20 ft. away stuck in my mind for quite a spell.Hang in there, tommorow may be the day.

Swampy said:
bill57 said:

I hate to see people blame the gun for something thats probably their fault that caused the gun to do that.

I agree with you Swampy.
Just last week, I was hunting with a friend & he did a walk around the hill. He moved a buck up toward me. It was an easy, 20 yard shot. I got on him & squeezed the trigger to only hear the clack of the flint against the frizzen. No pow or pfffft. The buck ran off, out of sight & I stood there kicking myself. :cursing:
The last time that I cleaned the gun I looked at the flint & thought it looked like it was getting kind of dull. I should have done something about it, but figured it would be OK for a few more shots. WRONG!!!
It's my own fault that I didn't get that buck, not the gun's. I should have gone with my first instincts. :shake:

Bald Mtn Man said:
Swampy said:
bill57 said:

I agree with you Swampy.
Just last week, I was hunting with a friend & he did a walk around the hill. He moved a buck up toward me. It was an easy, 20 yard shot. I got on him & squeezed the trigger to only hear the clack of the flint against the frizzen. No pow or pfffft. The buck ran off, out of sight & I stood there kicking myself. :cursing:
The last time that I cleaned the gun I looked at the flint & thought it looked like it was getting kind of dull. I should have done something about it, but figured it would be OK for a few more shots. WRONG!!!
It's my own fault that I didn't get that buck, not the gun's. I should have gone with my first instincts. :shake:

Ohhh that had to hurt. :redface:

"Ohhh that had to hurt."

Probably, but likely no more than not removing the hammer stall before shooting at a nice fat doe at 20 paces or so.......don't ask :shake:

Ok, just so you guys don't feel so bad. I messed up and fell out of the chair last night and spent 2 hours laying on cement being licked by my dog who wouldn't leave me, before I was found.

I used to be able to pull myself back up into the chair from the ground, we all are taught that but those days are long gone for me. I think my pride just as yours was hurt more than anything else, but I will be checked out tomorrow by a Nurse to make sure. So the moral of the story is we all mess up once in a while.

And no damn " Help I've fallen and can't get up jokes" please. I have a Zippered bag that hangs betwen my wheechair foot rests, just below the seat, My cell phone now lives in there. No way I'm going though that again. :redface:

Back