• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Habitat Management

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigman

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have recently purchased some land in the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.

Can anyone suggest books or web sites with information about Deer Habitat Management?

Thanks,
Foster From Flint

Might start with the local Fish and Game ,, they would know about what is best and how to go about it. at Least that is where I would start..

Last edited by a moderator:
The University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point has the finest undergraduate natural resources school in the nation, and I bet there's a Wildlife Management student or two who lives close enough that they could look over the property and come up with some sound recommendations. Probably their first questions will be about what you want to manage it for, i.e. large population, trophy bucks, etc.

I'm looking to purchase some land, myself, and have been thinking about the best places, that I've hunted, over the years and try to duplicate. Food, water and cover are the three main ingredients. On ridges, I would plant cover, and in bottom areas, I would have agriculture crops. Also creek bottoms offer good cover, and thick planting in these areas, provide shelter. I'm looking for land with (wood, water and grass). The more the your land already has, the less you'll have to do. I would contact Game Department and Local Extention Agents for answers.

The very best book that I have read is "A Practical Guide Producing and Harvesting White-tailed Deer" by Dr. James C. Kroll.

Do a search Dr. James Kroll, there is a lot of information about him and he has a website: www.drdeer.com.

The 2 most stressful times of the year for whitetail deer, is August and February when there
is a shortage of their natural food.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back