• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to rethink the spare cylinder idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often read that Civil War cavalrymen carried spare cylinders and reloaded with them in the saddle. Since I picked up a Remington New Army reproduction and actually tried swapping cylinders, I have come to doubt that. It's a two-handed operation that requires manipulation of the hammer position, cylinder, cylinder pin and loading lever. I can manage it easily enough at the range with both feet on the ground, but can't picture doing it on horseback in the middle of a gunfight. Carrying capped and loaded cylinders seems like a pretty risky proposition and uncapped cylinders aren't going to be much help. Clint Eastwood seems to manage it easily enough, but I wouldn't try it. A second (or third) loaded revolver seems like a better idea.

I often read that Civil War cavalrymen carried spare cylinders and reloaded with them in the saddle. Since I picked up a Remington New Army reproduction and actually tried swapping cylinders, I have come to doubt that. It's a two-handed operation that requires manipulation of the hammer position, cylinder, cylinder pin and loading lever. I can manage it easily enough at the range with both feet on the ground, but can't picture doing it on horseback in the middle of a gunfight. Carrying capped and loaded cylinders seems like a pretty risky proposition and uncapped cylinders aren't going to be much help. Clint Eastwood seems to manage it easily enough, but I wouldn't try it. A second (or third) loaded revolver seems like a better idea.
I think Clint either practiced that a lot or had a gun tuned for an easy swap. Some will be easier to swap than others.

Back