• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer Hunting starts in 11 days

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I had two deer cross my sights within shooting range today. Too bad one was a doe and the other a yearling.
Oh well, I must be doing something right, I am getting in shooting range of deer, just not the ones the state says I can shoot.

Someone was doing a ton of shooting today. One shooter was poping off an obvious sounding BP rifle about every two minutes for a couple hours then someone else was shooting a semi auto pistol as fast as they could pull the trigger and reload to do it again. That lasted about a half hour.
Pretty sure someone got meat on top of the mountain and on Cascadia Pacific property. Single shot, BP for sure. Thinking a .54 or larger. Thing is folks are not supposed to be up there hunting that land. Liability isn't in corporate interest last I checked.

Anyways,
Looking forward to the weekdays. Most folks have to work, I get to be a housewife. Maybe I can go out and walk around the forest without it sounding like a war outside.

Just hang in there. Don't give up. Persistence pays. (Insert cliche of choice here.....)

I believe in cliches because they state the obvious and are usually tested and true.
I've been bowhunting since the 13th of Sept. about every other day. On Saturday morning it paid off. I shot a mature doe at 16 yards and she only ran 30 yards before crashing.
Now I have fresh venison aging in the refrigerator in the barn.

You can't shoot them if you're not out there. Keep at it! :v

I put in a number of hours hunting today. I went and scouted some other areas around the place, found fresh sign, but I did not see a single deer all day. Not even ones not legal to shoot.
It was nice out today. Warm and pleasant. Nobody shooting like a gunfight in the area. In fact I did not hear a single gunshot while I was out and about. The squirrels even cut me a break today and not a one of them had anything to say about me being in their territory.

Forgot to take breakthrough pain medications...Not a smart move. Got to sit for about a half hour waiting for a wave of pain to subside. Fibromyalgia is hard on a soul.

Not giving up, I got a number of days left to the season. And if I do not get a deer...I had some nice private time in the forest and paid into the states game conservation funds by purchasing my hunting license. Both are good things in the grand scheme of things.

It ain't over till it's over and on the plus side, it sounds like your having a great time. In my experience, just when I let my guard down is when things seem to happen. Stay after them and watch yer top knot.

Jeff

I saw a mule deer momma and her fawn. The fawn was nursing on her a bit. Which I was rather surprised to see a mule deer around here. First I have seen. All the other deer I have seen around here for years are white tail.
With nothing better to do I snuck up on her and the fawn until I got in my comfort zone for shooting and just stared at them for awhile. After awhile the momma noticed me and I scolded her for letting me sneak up on her. She ran off about 20 yards and then just turned and stared at me. I could have shot her any number of times and I told her as much.
{I figure I might as well take these opportunities to stalk the no shoot deer for practice runs for the day I get that 4 pointer in my sights.}
Leaves me wondering where the daddy of that fawn is! I can shoot a 3 point mule deer or better.
Anyways, no late afternoon/early evening hunting today. We have to go shopping.

Latest posts

Back