• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer hunting with flintlock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfwing82

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I will be trying to do it this year I have a 50 cal flintlock 10 in barrel 490 rb 015 patch and 35gr fff anyone else ever do this ?

There is or was a show in Kentucky I believe whos host has one arm and he did a show on building and hunting deer with a flintlock pistol. It's worth watching if you can find it. :v

Even though I don't live in Kentucky I love this show. I've watched about every episode on youtube. It's really refreshing show because he doesn't recomend any "new product" he just wants a good quality hunting show. And he also likes to feature traditional smokepoles because he had the show where it was a hunt like you showed Swampy and he has several where he talks to muzzleloader builders.

I would imagine it is not reasonable or not done much because I have not had many replies. makes me wonder if it should be tried or not

Why not? If it's something you think you would like to do, do it! :thumbsup: That pistol he's using in the video looks like the Pedersol Bounty Flintlock with a couple of modifications, set trigger and buttcap!

Actually the guy who's land they're hunting on made that pistol but he put the longer barrel on their he said to make it a better gun for hunting purposes.

I've been trying for 3 years to take a doe with a caplock pistol. Don't see why a flint pistol would be any different. I figger if I can get one in bow range I can kill her.

Here in Illinois the powers that be only allow ML pistols during the 3-day antlerless only late winter season. By then the deer are thinned out and spooky from all the other hunting seasons, it's cold, and the does are usually herded up. You either see none or dozens at a time. Makes it a tough task. I keep wishing they would allow ML pistols during ML season.

BTW, we also must use a published load that makes a minimum of 500 foot pounds of muzzle energy. To accomplish that with a PRB I have to use 50 grains of 3F in my .54 Great Plains pistol. Pretty stout load.

Here in MO can hunt with a muzzzleloading pistol to accompany our rifles during ML season. I'll be carrying my .50 percussion on the off chance something wanders within 25-30 yds. THe way I see it, the same principle as anything else applies. Put that shot in the right spot and that deer will go down.

I tried it last year, missed with the pistol. I'll be back again this fall.

Good luck!
Wess

In Alaska our state ML assosiation decided to petition the game board to ban ML pistols for hunting big game wihout asking anyones opinion.
So the game board cheerfully accepted it and now no pistols.With the right caliber and shot placement a pistol will kill deer sized game. I have taken deer in the past with a single shot .45cal perc. with a .440prb and 35g 3F theshot was 15 yards. I have also used a perc. revolver, .44cal remmington. .457 ball and 30g 3F. shot deer at 20 yards. it worked just fine. Its all in the placement.

Back