• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

French flintlock pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve scoured the interwebs, bought Torsten Lenk’s book, I even went to the Dresden gun armory museum in Germany in search of clues. I need help identifying where, when, and potentially who made this gun. Barrel is 7” long, gun length is 13” long. All parts appear original as the fit is firm and secure. Loading rod does not appear original however. Stock appears to be figured walnut. Lock & barrel have finial engravings. There are no visible lettering or initials. There is an engraved mark or stamp partially obscured by the stock but I’m reluctant to disassemble the gun. I assumed the pistol is French, mid-1700’s? Any thoughts or opinions / expertise would be greatly appreciated! I’m new to collecting, slowly building a small collection for home display.

Attachments

• IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_6882.jpeg
    IMG_6882.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_6863.jpeg
    IMG_6863.jpeg
    537.1 KB
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_6782.jpeg
    IMG_6782.jpeg
    1.6 MB
  • IMG_6780.jpeg
    IMG_6780.jpeg
    2.5 MB
  • IMG_6880.jpeg
    IMG_6880.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_6882.jpeg
    IMG_6882.jpeg
    1.2 MB
  • IMG_6863.jpeg
    IMG_6863.jpeg
    537.1 KB
  • IMG_6786.jpeg
    IMG_6786.jpeg
    1.2 MB
Almost looks like burl walnut. It's beautiful. Interesting the tang is straight sided, and not flared. It might be even earlier. It seems like a higher quality pistol, odd that it's not marked in any way.

Almost looks like burl walnut. It's beautiful. Interesting the tang is straight sided, and not flared. It might be even earlier. It seems like a higher quality pistol, odd that it's not marked in any way.
I looked at every single flintlock pistol at every museum in Munich, Dresden, Nürnberg, while I was there this summer. I compared the sideplate design to ones in museums and found close / almost exact similarities to other French & German guns of the early 1700’s. The lock is what confuses me, I didn’t see any with the 2 pins 🤷🏼‍♂️

Back