• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only killed one deer with the .54. I used 110 grains 3f, .016 patch. Complete penetration & dead in it's tracks at about 35 yards. I was educated later that I didn't need that heavy a load. I was using 100 grains 3f in my .50 and 80 grains in my .45. I've started using more moderated loads so we'll see.

hanshi said:
I've only killed one deer with the .54. I used 110 grains 3f, .016 patch. Complete penetration & dead in it's tracks at about 35 yards. I was educated later that I didn't need that heavy a load. I was using 100 grains 3f in my .50 and 80 grains in my .45. I've started using more moderated loads so we'll see.

More people than not use heavier loads than necessary. :shake:

I was taught, when I first got into muzzleloader hunting, to worry more about finding an accurate load than the heaviest load you can handle. I've found that to be very good advice. Only two or three times since I've been hunting using prb's have I been able to recover the ball. I've had pass thru's on deer, bear & caribou at yardages out to around 100 yds, never using heavier loads than I stated above.

Latest posts

Back