• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer movement during East winds?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CC just a figure of speech.... :haha:

My couch does face the window and I could kill em' from the couch. I've had em' with in 40 yards of the couch. And my living room has a double door just in case I get a little cited'. :shocked2: :rotf:

It seems to me that the deer on my place travel almost alway on trails. When they want to go somewhere, they travel on a trail in that direction, regardless of the direction the wind is blowing. The trails they use change as their needs change, some are used more heavily at certain times of the year, less so at others, but all irregardless of the wind.

I shot a buck in 2012 which seems typical of the way I picture the situation. As I walked in to my hide I walked the last 100 yards on a well used deer trail, and I had the thought that maybe I should have approached from a different direction. because the wind, although light, was blowing from behind me, and I considered the possibility I was spooking any deer in front of me with my scent as I walked in. The hide had a view of the last section of that trail, and shortly after I got settled in I saw a buck walking down the trail I had used, with the wind still blowing from behind him directly toward me. I've seen that sort of thing happen so often I thought nothing of it at the time.

Spence

Yes Sir I agree I've seen them do some strange things. :haha: And I have killed them with the wind bowing to them as well. :thumbsup:

The best time to hunt is every chance you get.

I have had deer do entirely the "wrong" thing at odd hours. Be ready at all times to take advantage when they do make a potentially fatal mistake. When I'm in the woods I'm hunting. I know too many hunters who were moving in or out where "no deer will be" and had one stop and stare them face-to-face, and there they stand with their gun slung over their shoulder.

Be flexible and keep your eyes and ears open and watch 360°.

Personally, I don't believe that the direction of the wind has any effect on deer. What I have noticed that deer seem to be more nervous when it is blowing. I believe that the reason for this is they can't pick up on noises when leaves are rattling from the wind. If I am walking, I always try to walk into the wind.

I just try to set in the right spot, given the wind direction. Sometimes I even pick the RIGHT spot lol!!

Last yrs bowkill came on Veterans Day. The wind was steady at 35-40 mph, with gusts to 60!!! My best deer ever and did it with my recurve. Yes, wind makes them nervous, but they still have to eat, drink and breed this time of year!

Back