• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Deer numberse

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidelock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the most deer you have seen at one time? When I first moved to where I now live ( along a 200 acre meadow) I looked out one evening and counted 100 deer and they were still coming when it got too dark to see or count. I have also counted 150 elk in the same meadow. Not so many now with the wolves.

I have seen herds of over 100 in the late winter when they form groups. Sadly I also came across a group of 11 that had starved in their beds and were dead in a group within 20 yards of each other. Even in New York winters can be harsh.

During hunting season I counted 16 running together in a large group and that was extraordinary. Normally six is a large group (as in two does feeding with twins).

During the 9 mile trek from my house to the nearest town I pass numerous hay fields. In those fields at dusk there will be at least 200 deer per field. Figure 5 large hay fields, numerous yards and smaller fields along the way... I will see upwards of a thousand deer in an evening.

I'll assume you're talking about actually hunting in my answer.

I have seen in excess of 100 deer on late December deer drives when they were herded up. That was 15 to 20 or so years ago when the population here was abnormally high. Actually sitting on a stand, it would be in the 30's somewhere.

My best sit ever(Nov 1, 2012)produced 17 whitetail bucks of at least 2 1/2 years of age and most were 3 1/2. All were within 50 yards at some point, with a number of them inside 10. My buck tag was already filled with a 12 pt and I was out to fill my doe tag. Despite seeing about the same number of does at close range, I didn't fire a shot because the drama before me of bristling, sidling, grunting, snort-wheezing bucks was just too good to spoil. It was a magical evening sit that I'll never forget. I remember getting down from my stand and thinking "If I die right now, I've already been to heaven."

114, spring yard up in a hay meadow near Millacs Lake.
It took two seasons and each year had a special early hunt to get the population down in that area.

I belonged to a club in central Alabama. Our most productive food plot was about 6 acres of clover, oats, and chicory.
I have counted 136 deer in it in one evening during hunting season. About 1/3 were bucks.

We had a club rule that only bucks that would gross score 115 B&C were legal targets so I did not fire that evening.

Probably no more than twenty. They don't "yard up" here in S Indiana.

It's sad to say how few are seen at a time now, as we've had some horrible EHD outbreaks in the last few years.

Best regards, Skychief

I was South bound on US421 and as I drove out of the Winamac Wildlife Area, WWA is on the West side of the highway, and the Winamac State Park is on the East side, I saw over 100 deer, in a pasture, South of the WWA. You have to be careful driving through that area, as many as 90 deer are road kill there every year.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
In the thick piedmont woods of Georgia they don't gang up like that. The most I've seen at any one time while hunting was around 12 or 15 back in the mid 1970s.

Back