• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

deer scents

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan9201

36 Cal.
Reaction score
do you guys usully replace all your deer scents (urine, estresus, tarsel scents) after eatch season?

greetings evan,

did use scents at one time. when slooow hunting thru the woods, tied a scented rag to my boots to leave a trail... while doing this, tied a small scented patch to a branch here and there.

later on would repeat the route. almost always got a shot. did get my first deer with a bow that way. he would not leave that scented patch for anything. so he got an arrow..

BTW, my bows don't have training wheels on them. :grin: :rotf: :blah:

back to your question, if done rite, there won't be any scent left at the end of the season. :wink:

good luck and ..ttfn..grampa..

evan9201 said:
do you guys usully replace all your deer scents (urine, estresus, tarsel scents) after eatch season?
Don't use deer scents or cover scents

I am not sure of the efficacy of scents. I believe that any of the scents like Tinks, Code Blue, etc are a foriegn scent to a deer who knows all of the other scents in their herd. To me, it would raise an alarm and heighten their sense of security. My Dad sort of proved it a while back when it seemed that all of the deer vacated his area when he began using a deer scent.

I do use scent killer sprays and hunt with the wind as much as I can.

Not here either.Hear that most deer scents are made with rabbit urine.
Male rabbit-Buck
Female rabbit-Doe
Don't know if its true or not.Read your label. :hmm:

Wanna know what works? Find an active scrape and relieve yourself in it. You will have one angry buck after that. :thumbsup:

Never use them. I make sure the wind is in my favor. I have four stands set up and the wind tells me which one to use. :thumbsup:

Have done that also.My biggest problem is mastering the licking branch and putting up a rub. :rotf:

one thing that i know works is the apple scent stuf i use during muzzleloader season(december). i hang i wick stick of the stuff up about 20ft ahead of my stand(wind was in my face) and had a buck come meandering along to find the source.

I've smelled bucks a couple times - once real strong in some thick stuff where I had just jumped something. I assume it was a hotted up buck. But my nose ain't good enough to track a deer by scent. I rely on sight mostly and sound more often than not.

A deer, I figure has 10X my nose ability, and can tell the difference between a stinky 'ol human, a stinky 'ol human wearing cover scent and a real doe. Much better to keep down wind of 'em, or at least cross wind. I don't wear much other scents the rest of the year and I think that makes a difference, too. Better to be clean than to try and smell clean or covered. Clean don't have a smell to it.

I don't use scents and just put notches 35 and 36 on the meat pole. Some from as close as 4 or 5 yards and all but one from ground level.

I got a bottle of Tink's #69 last fall. Last week while archery hunting I put some on two patches and had a small racked buck walk circles around those patches for 30 minutes. Judging from his behavior, it's effective for at least one year.

I usta use scents. Had a couple bucks stop to smell 'em but figgered I coulda shot 'em without the scent. Had several other deer smell the scent and get spooky. Many times they just ignored the scent all together.
Never once had a deer come a runnin' to the scent. :hmm:

I gave up on scents several years ago. I just don't find them worth the $6 to $12 a bottle for a gamble...

There is a deer farm up the road from me that bottles the urine. I still have trouble imagining how they collect the specimines. I quit using them and I see and harvest more deer. I scout more pay more attention to my movement and the wind and have less psychological baggage saying that I can be sloppy in my methods because I have scents around me. I saw one bow hunter chain smoke cigarettes then put on his scent lock suit and say he was "covered" I Rely less on paraphalalea sp. and more on time honored techniques. I do pee out of my tree stand as well.

hey button buck, on my brothers farm cigarette smoke and chain saw exhaust are deer scents.

when he starts making wood for the winter the deer come from everywhere to get the tender tips..

they do respond the his cig. smoke and the chainsaw.. don't know if any brand will do, he smokes pall mall..

one time we were in the barn on new years day..(day after bow season ended) he said, 'watch this' cranked up the chainsaw and shortly there were deer poking thier heads out of the woods all over the farm..

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. back in the days when i ran a trap line. if scents wern't used, the harvest would have been a lot smaller...

a scent is like anything else, it's a tool. if you don't know how to use them, they won't do you a bit of good..

I usually do a lot of scouting before season and pick a high spot that over looks a couple trails or a field,i don't worry about the wind as there are more hunters in the woods than deer and also the wind blows in all four dirrections in the woods.
where i live it is all farmland deer and they don't seem to spook as easy as the deer out west.

Bow hunting in illinois is really caught on since you can be more flexable with when and where you hunt There are many bowhunters and they seem to get the deer riled up a bit, I would think bowhunters, self included, who tend to use alot of scents and sence we hope, Maybe clue in deer. It is like someone said earlier if you stroll through the woods cutting wood smoking the deer know what you are up to because they are full time deer. I can swear that the older smarter deer look up in the trees where stands are. I am hunting tomorrow with a muzzleloader I am not wearing scents but am keeping my clothes washed in scent free stuff and dired with some deer hunters dryer sheets in a plastic bag. However in illinois now, the rut is on full swing so really all bets are off. and I am going to stayout all day today and tomorrow with my 15 year old until that freezer is full and the wall too with racks

I have never seen the need to use scents. While I have only killed 10 deer over the years, it is not from the lack of opportunity. I'm just not dragging a anything less than a 6 pointer from where I hunt, which is often at least 2 miles from my car!
My grandfather and my uncles hunted their whole lives and got their buck every year, and never used scents. They taught me the key is putting your time in the woods, scouting, patience and good shot placement. I'm still working on the patience part. My grandfather could sit for hours and not move. I've seen my uncle come into camp, knocking chunks of ice off of his hat and coat. To me scents and the like are just marketing ploys by some outdoor companies looking for another way to pry us from our money.

Back